Blade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Question

How long should a blade last? I am using Olson blades and have been changing out after about 30 minutes, is this necessary? Thanks for your input.

Tony,aka, Toneman

Depending on what you are cutting. I almost exclusively use Olson blades.
    I cut a lot of baltic birch plywood stacked to about 1/2 inch using the Olson 2/0 reverse blade. 30-45 min is typical. If it is a critical cut I will start with a fresh blade. I tend to toss the blade sooner than later. I won't risk a couple of hours worth of fretwork to save a few cents.

There are a couple of indicators such as when you feel like you are pushing or the blade is not tracking like it did when fresh, it is time to change the blade. Some other soft wood, pine etc., the blade will go longer. The Mach series and the PGT series I go longer.
    Some woods are very gummy, like bloodwood, and it is easy to over heat the blade quickly, once that happens it is done.
    Last edited by Rolf; 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

There are so many variables at play, that it is pretty tough to give an objective answer to that specific question. Generally speaking, 30 minutes doesn't sound unreasonable. Scroll saw blades are a consumable, kind of like sandpaper, so don't get too caught up in how long they last. Buy blades in bulk to minimize the cost and you won't worry about it as much.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Hi Tony.
        Just sent you a PM.
        FD Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

Toneman - where are you getting your Olson blades. I'm trying to decide between the Olson and the Flying Dutchman.

Thanks,
          Ken

Comment

Try both and see which you are most comfortable with. I started with Olson about 7 years ago so that is what I am comfortable with. But as you see on this forum there are a lot of FD fans. Sloans is a great source for Olson blades
            Sloan's Woodshop - " The Scroll Saw Store " they only take phone orders but they are very friendly and fast.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Good advise has been provided. I find a lot depends on the wood and how thick. Some very hard woods like zebra wood you will be lucky to get 10 minutes of cutting time and that is with packing tape top and bottom. When in doubt replace the blade.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hey Ken, I am getting my Olson blades from Ray at Seyco in Rockwall, Texas

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X