Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mind is Made Up...BUT...

Hi all
    I've only gotten back into scrolling because of health reasons. I've had a saw for a lot of years but wasn't using it very often. Up until now it has sat on my bench collecting dust for the past 10 years or so.

Here in Canada there is a chain of stores called "Canadian Tire" and they sell EVERYTHING, including tools. The tools they sell are their own brand called "Mastercraft." You will never find any of these tools in a pro... or even semi-pro's workshop. But for a beginner they can be a good buy because of how cheap they are.

Way back when I got my first scroll saw I bought their "Mastercraft" on sale for around $50. if my memory serves me correctly. But now that I'm getting back into cutting in a serious way I realize that I'm trying to do this with a real piece of junk.

There's another chain here called "Rona" or "Reno Depot" - same company, different name. Their own brand of tools is called "Haussman." I bought an 18" saw today, on sale for $149.00... regular price is $199.00. Unfortunately it really isn't a whole lot better than the Mastercraft.

I have made up my mind that I'm going to go out over my budget and get the DeWalt 788. Here's my problem: I cannot find a store anywhere around the Montreal, Canada, area where I can buy one. We only have 2 big box stores here... Home Depot - Ryobi (a LOT of very bad reviews in general) Reno Depot - Haussman (going back tomorrow as stated) I can buy the DeWalt online but it ends up costing a very big fortune once the shipping is factored in.

Would anyone from around my area - Montreal - know of anywhere I can get one of these? Maybe I've overlooked some place in my Google search? I'm kinda thinking not, seeing as I've spent the last 3 hours searching.

Very much appreciated!!!

--Bobby

Welcome to the forum Bobby. I'm in Dorval.

If you look throgh this forum a bit more you will see that the newer Dewalts are not getting very good reviews. Personally I would not buy one. I have an Excalibur and ame very ghappy with it. If you really want a Dewalt there is a used one in Lacine on KIJIJI at:

If it is atype 1 saw it would be a better quality machine than the Dewalt type 2 macines they are making today. The seller can to you which it is by looking at the data plate.

Good Luck

Tom

Comment

I usually find them (sporadically) on Craigs List. Sheila Landry is in the Maritimes and has a website and may have some suggestions. Sheila Landry Designs.

General Tool has the Excalibur line. The older ones were purple, the newer ones green, but they and the DeWalt had the same designer.
      Got Moose?

Comment

Bobby, I have heard some people talking about the Hitachi scrollsaw, and most of what I've heard is good. I don'tknow if they are or not, but you may want to look into buying one of them.
        Len

Comment

I bought my DeWalt from Home Hardware. They had it on sale at the time I was shopping. Go to HH and ask the salesman to look into ordering you one.
          Diane
          Dragon
          Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
          Owner of a Dewalt 788
          PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

the french ad for the saw is most likely a type 2 if it was bought recently. It is expensive since I bought mine with the stand and light for $500 new. And don't forget new includes a warranty.
            Diane
            Dragon
            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
            Owner of a Dewalt 788
            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

The best internet price for a new 788 I could find is from Grizzly.com. Check 'em out and see if they'll ship to you.

Good luck.

Carter

Comment

saw

Hi from NL I also though of buying a dewalt until I read the reviews{not good},so I got an EX 16.instead,got it on line was on sale for 549.00[can].I have also seen them on the Sears.ca web site you could check it out there.The saw is built like a tank and a joy to use.
                Remember keep your blades sharp and your fingers safe

Comment

I would consider the Excalibur also, I got mine and I'm very happy with it.
                  Here are the distributors in Quebec:

Canada distributors (Quebec)

Comment

Bobby.

If you decide to go with the Excalibur, I got mine through Mark's Machinery in Carp, Ontario Welcome to Mark's Machinery.
                    I called Mark and made the purchase, paid by Visa then picked the saw up in Montreal at the General warehouse on Champ-d"Eau a couple of days later. Avoided the QST that way.

I'v done this with Mark a couple of times with no problem.

Tom

Comment

Having used a DeWalt for many years - I would recommend you buy and Excalibur The old Type 1 DeWalt was very good but to buy a new one, you're rolling the dice. Excalibur (General) is a Canadian company - in Montreal I believe. (the old type 1 DeWalts were actually made by Excalibur co.)
                      Janette
                      www.square-designs.com

Comment

Hi all...
                        Thanks one in all for your comebacks and suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

As for getting the DeWalt... I found a place where I could get one instead of ordering online and having to pay the shipping. Most of the places I found on line were charging between $300 - $350... way too much for my budget.

I did buy the DeWalt and got a real bargain - $549 - that includes the stand and light. I set it up and couldn't believe how smooth and vibration free it runs. I'll be doing a lot more with it tomorrow as I ran out of time to do any serious cutting today.

guarantee on all parts and labor done at the store where I bought it.

On that note, I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be luckier than most who had trouble with their 788s

Thanks again all

--Bobby

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          This market is run a little different than most. All monies collected go back into the market. Each month they put on a different event to draw in people. The budget is usually $600 in the busy months. The pavilion is well maintained with sides that pull down in the colder months. The only time Sunday...
                          Today, 01:41 AM
                        • cwmagee
                          Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                          by cwmagee
                          A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                          Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                          That is...
                          Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                        • Jimern
                          by Jimern
                          The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                          Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                        • will8989
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                        Working...
                        X