just building my scrolling workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just building my scrolling workshop

How often do you use a joiner/planer? Just wondering if this is a necessary part of my new workshop. Also, is it helpful to have a drill press with a laser to pinpoint where the drill will create the hole or is this unnecessary? Thanks.

Re: just building my scrolling workshop

I don't use my planer very often...when you need it, its invaluable.....the drill press I use a lot and don't have the laser but it would be helpful!

Comment

Like Hi-Ho, I don't use them often, but when you need them, you really need them (planer and jointer that is). As for the laser on the drill press - don't have one and have never missed it and am having a hard time visualizing how one would work on that particular tool. If it shoots straight down the bit would be in the way, if it comes in at an angel I suspect larger bits, particularly a forstner would get in the way. Don't really see the benefit anyway because if the position of the hole is critical I position the work before starting the drill press anyway. I guess if the machine you want has one get it, but I wouldn't let that feature influence my decision.

Comment

I don't use my joiner much but I use my planer a lot. I re-saw all my wood and I use the planer to get it to the thickness I want. I use an extra board 2x12 when planing down to 1/8'
        Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

3-M In your reply you said you used a 2x12 to plane wood to 1/8 '. I've never heard of this can you explain this procedure futher.Does the piece you are planning need to be glued or tapped to the 2x12? Thanks, Poppad

Comment

The top picture shows a nail that holds the board from sliding. That other picture shows the board so you can move the blades of the planer lower than without a board.
            Mike M
            SD Mike

Comment

Mike- Thanks, now it makes sense to me. That is a great tip.
              Poppad

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X