Adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhesive

I would like to know what type of adhesive is best on paper patterns & the best way to remove them.
    Thanks,
    Sid ???

Re: Adhesive

I use the spray adhesive that I get at Wal-Mart. What I have right now is 'DURO All-Purposed Spray Adhesive.' There is also a brand sold in the craft section that works equally as well (can't remember the name). Spray it on only one of the surfaces (the paper works best for me) if you want to remove it, both surfaces for a permanent bond. When you want to remeove it just peel the paper off starting on one corner. If there's anything left on the wood just wipe it down with mineral spirits and it will come right off.

Comment

Ed,
      Is there any types of wood that you'd not recommend using the adhesive on? Thanks in advance. --Den

Comment

I'd never really given it any thought. But now that I do think about it, I'd be very careful on intricate fretwork especially on thinner wood. What I've been doing is giving the pattern a good soaking in mineral spirits and that releases the adhesive and the pattern lifts right off. As for kinds of wood; I've used it on baltic birch, birch, oak, mahogany and walnut plywood as well as on quite a few different types of straight lumber/wood/ whatever you call it and have never experienced a problem (not to say I won't some day).

Comment

I use a spray on adhesive and use a product called Undo sold in Wall-Mart's Craft department. Does not leave a residue. Little Bride got me on to it. She uses it on many different adhesives.

Comment

OPps. The Undo, is used to take the patteren off. Forgot to mention that in my earlier posting.

Comment

I used to use spray adhesive until I read about good 'ole Ellmer's School Stick glue. It works great! Just spread on back of pattern, adhere to wood and cover with tape before cutting. The best part is removal, pull off tape after cutting pattern, take a damp cloth and wipe over paper left on wood. Take a plastic scraper and remove - very gently! It comes off so easy you don't need to use any pressure! You may have to wipe one or two times with a damp cloth to remove glue residue but it works great!! Much easier than spray adhesive, much less expensive and not nearly as smelly! One stick goes as far as a can of adhesive!! This sawer will never use spray adhesive again!!

Comment

Forgot to mention, just dampen cloth with plain water. No need to use anything else. Cheap and smell free!!

Comment

hello betty im new to here but how does the wet paper keep in place while cutting pattern
                  thank you sue

Comment

I think she was referring to using a damp cloth to take the pattern off the wood after cutting.

Maybe wrong and apolpgize if I am.

Comment

Personally, I don't use adhesive. I use carbon paper to transfer my patterns and it doesn't rub off and sands off real easy. A little time consuming, but have always been too afraid I wouldn't get the adhesive off after all my hard work.[quote author=Sidro53 link=board=Beginner_SS;num=1056438126;start=0#0 date=06/24/03 at 02:02:06]I would like to know what type of adhesive is best on paper patterns & the best way to remove them.
                      Thanks,
                      Sid ???[/quote]

Comment

Adhesive

I use Elmers Spray Adhesive, and it never seems to work. I was curious if any one else uses it and has trouble. It is also about 40 degrees where I have to work. Does this make a difference? Thanx much!
                        Sara

Comment

I use 3M 77 spray adhesive. Spray on the back of the pattern, wait for several seconds and put on the wood. I also cover the pattern with 3M packing tape (2') to help lubricate the blade. When done cutting, I remove the tape and then I just wipe on some mineral spirits, let it set for several more seconds and everything comes right off. Any residue remaining comes right off with a swipe of mineral spirits. Works for me.
                          Did I say I liked 3M products.....

Oldtimer
                          Oldtimer&&&&Every day is a great day, it's just that some days are greater than others.....

Comment

Yes, I was referring to wiping off the pattern when finished cutting. I have also been using another method which I also like. I cover the surface with masking tape, glue the pattern to the masking take and cover the pattern with packing tape. When finished, all I have to do is remove the tape. No residue left on wood to clean up. I really like this method alot. I wish I could take credit for these methods, but I did see them in a magazine and am really glad I tried them. My new can of spray adhesive has been sitting on my shelf ever since! HAPPY AND SAFE WOODWORKING!!

Comment

Doesn't the glue from the tape gum-up the saw blade making for rough cutting?

I either use carbon paper or draw free hand

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X