Newbie Seeks Input on Saw Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Seeks Input on Saw Purchase

I have narrowed my purchase to a new Delta 40-690 ($349.00), a 2 yr old type 2 Dewalt 788 ($350.00) listed on Craigslist, and Excalibur 16 ($674.99). I am seeking input from you experienced scrollers.

Tony Cunningham

You posted this on Steves site as well. I'll bet you get the same responses here. If you can afford the Ex go for it.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Get the Excalibur. Folks seem to be having a lot of problem with the type 2 DeWalt.

Jan

Comment

The Delta is a really good deal right now, but I would want to see that it doesn't have the excessive blade travel before I bought it. If your going to be doing bowls, I might put out the difference for the EX. I would not consider a used 788 over the same Delta new.

---------Randy
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I own two DW788s. Both have served me well and continue to go strong. As Randy said I would not go to a used Type 2 over the new Delta. Now if it was a true Type 1 and under $300 I might consider it.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I love my ex-16. I tried a porter-cable and a dewalt before and i took them both back. I consider it money well spent.

Comment

I would not even consider those first two saws. The Delta is basically the Dewalt with a different color. I made the mistake of buying the Dewalt and about 1 1/2 yrs later after my purchase I had to go out and buy another saw (the EX 21). The reason being, there were too many problems on the DW788 and Dewalt had no fixes for them. So I wasted 500 bucks. In the tool business, you get what you pay for.

Comment

I want to thank all who replied to my post about my first saw purchase. After talking to Ray @Sayco, and doing a lot of research, I have decided on the Excalibur 21. So. I will be headed to Rockwall in a few days!!

Tony

Comment

Tony, be sure to check the internet. I bought my second DeWalt from Grissly.com for a very good price, including stand and light. My DeWalts have been great for me for 19 years and have cut at least a half-million puzzle pieces.

Carter

Comment

I've no complaints with my 788. good price
                    Buy Delta 20 Variable Speed Scroll Saw Model 40-690 at Woodcraft
                    May the wind at you back .....
                    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I've had my Dewalt 788 type 2 now for over two years with no problems and just love it . But the best deal going as said by one of the others here is at Grizzly's.com - you get the stand and light free when you buy from them . Sometimes when money is the question , this Dewalt type 2 788 is a great saw in my eyes .......now if I had penty to spend I'd probably try the Excalibur ....... ......on the other hand I'd bet that this new Delta model 40-690 would be a good buy also......my two cents worth.....MB
                      Last edited by marshall; 01-31-2012, 12:47 PM.
                      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X