Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• entry level saw

Greetings

I am looking to get an entry level saw to explore this area of woodworking.

I see that one of the scroll saw magazines lists the porter cable as the editors choice for the entry level category. I looked at the saw at lowes, and at $189 it doesn't seem too bad on the wallet in order to see how this will go. So this is the way i am leaning, at this time. it comes with stand, light.

Perhaps those more experienced folks can give a little insite on a saw for under $200?

Thanks

This saw is the one I use. I bought it a few years ago as an entry level saw to get into the hobby. I've been very happy with it. I bought it at sears..they may have a newer model now. What I liked about it is that it takes pinned and non-pinned blades. It includes a foot pedal. Adjustable light/blower hose. Easy to adjust variable speed control. Around $200 so it doesnt break the bank to get into the hobby.

Craftsman

Comment

I use the 18 inch Craftsman and am very happy with it. Amazon has a 16 inch Craftsman for around $160. They don't make the 18 inch any more.
      Don R
      http://www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.weebly.com
      http://www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
      Custom Made Scroll Saw Patterns

Comment

I use the same saw, and have had it a long time.
        A great saw.
        Try and find a used one on craigs list for probably half the price of a new one.

It's all fun
        Terry
        Craftsman 18"
        Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

You will enjoy the Porter Cable, a very great first machine

I have the same machine and I'm addicted to scrolling!

Sawhound

Originally posted by leozdad View Post
          Greetings

I see that one of the scroll saw magazines lists the porter cable as the editors choice for the entry level category. I looked at the saw at lowes, and at $189 it doesn't seem too bad on the wallet in order to see how this will go. So this is the way i am leaning, at this time. it comes with stand, light.

Perhaps those more experienced folks can give a little insite on a saw for under $200?

Thanks

Comment

For $200, you might want to check craigslist for a DW788. Great saw. It is a 20". Takes plain end blades. The best part is that it has little vibration.

I never used the PC, but it's a newer version of the Hitachi, without a cast iron table.
            DeWalt DW788 Type 1

Comment

I know this is a bit out of your price range, but you might want to consider it anyway. The Delta 40-690 has just been put on sale for $349.00 at Woodcraft while supplies last, and I hear they are going fast. Delta is coming out with a new 40-695 to replace it. It's the equivalent of the DeWalt DW788 and comes with the stand and light. Pretty good deal and an excellent saw. Just had to let you know.
              Last edited by Crabbyboater; 01-20-2012, 11:10 PM.
              John

Excalibur EX21
              RBI Hawk G4

Comment

Originally posted by leozdad View Post
                Greetings

Thanks
                I started out on the 16" Craftsman scrollsaw Varable speed and used it for 8 years - a great entry level saw . It wouldn't break the bank , but now make sure it has the tool-less blade change if you were to go this route - for I had a friend some time back buy one that required a allen wench for blade change - my two cents worth ..........
                Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

If I read it right the sale on 40-690 starts on the 28 right. Don

Comment

Frenchie, you're right about the 28th, but I've seen a number of posts stating that the independant Woodcraft dealers are already selling, and some are already out. Never hurts to try right away if you're interested.
                    John

Excalibur EX21
                    RBI Hawk G4

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X