wood types and blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood types and blades

some of the projects i have done lately for christmas ornaments, i have found that with using plywood 1/8 and 1/4 inch the center plys of wood chip out , the cuts are fine but it is very noticeable is there certain blades, speed that would stop this

Generally speaking the thinner the material being cut, the smaller the blade you want to use. Are you cutting one layer at time or stack cutting? What size & type of blade did you use?

Also, in your case, the plywood may be contributing to the problem as much as the blade. What kind of plywood are you using? I've routinely cut 1/8" baltic birch plywood and have had no problems with voids or chip out of the center plys.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

2/0 skip tooth blade , cutting one piece at a time , it was cheap ply wood left nover from a job site ill try birch next time i go to the lumber mill , thank you for the response

Comment

Yer plywood sounds like the culprit and single layers is contributing. Upgrade to a quality plywood you will stop this problem.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I agree with Mike. Sounds like cheap plywood. By the chance did it come from a BORG (Lowes, Home Depot, etc)?
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Mike's right as usual. Voids, and I would add poor gluing procedures, in the cheap stuff are the culprit.

george
            A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
            George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

I use the Finnish birch plywood from Scroll Saw Patterns Plans Books & Blades for your projects - On Sale at Scroller Ltd. and the birch plywood from Sloans and have never run into problem with either.
              Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Yes, I would say it is the plywood that is causing the problem. I have gotten some at Lowes & it is really bad. Not only does it chip out, but, it will warp in a short period of time. Try a better quality ply & you will notice a difference. Good Luck
                PERK

Comment

I use good quality baltic birch plywood. I make a lot of things out of 1/8 inch. I use the FD 31 tooth puzzle blades very regularly for ornaments etc. I don't get chip outs.
                  Bill

DEWALT 788 and Hegner 18vs..... AND STILL CUTTIN IT UP!!!!

Member of Scrollsaw Association of the World

Comment

When I first started many centuries ago I used such items as old drawer bottoms, etc and discovered very rapidly it was a waste of time and effort. In fact, this Christmas I used some plywood from a cabinet shop and had the same problem. Wasted, no way to fix it...
                    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X