Dab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dab

Hello, I'm a newbie. I've had my scroll saw for a couple of weeks now, and have really enjoyed it. I'm having a problem with my projects doing a lot of bouncing around (up and down) though. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do? I have started out with some small things like star, heart, ghost, leaves, snowman. Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to check your blade and make sure that the teeth are facing down.
    If the teeth are pointing up they will lift the wood off the table.
    The hold down will stop wood from bouncing but most scrollers remove it shortly after they get their saws.

I find it is more important to apply a downward pressure to the wood than it is to push the wood through the blade. After awhile you will get a feel for just how much pressure to apply, both in the downward motion and then with pressing it to the blade.

Hope this helps, Carl
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Dab

Thank so much for your quick reply. I did put the hold down part on my saw, and it does help. My blade teeth are facing down. I have cut some things with little problem with bouncing, but some things, even going very slowly, seem to bounce a lot. Could it be a difference in the type of wood? Thanks again for you help.

Comment

Chatter

What you are experiencing is called "chatter". I think all of us had that problem to some extent when we first started scrolling. I still do occasionally if the wood has a little warp and isn't laying flat on the table surface or when cutting a tight radius with an aggressive (higher numbered) blade. Just keep practicing with simple cuts and turns and you'll soon find that the problem will go away. Welcome to the group!!!!
        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Dbonner

Thanks for the help and the welcome. I am soooo excited about learning more about scrolling. I've been scrounging up some scrap pieces to practice with. Maybe that's one of my problems. Ha.. I'm not giving up though.
          Diane

Comment

Is your saw Bolted down securely to the table? It should be and a pad of carpet or rubbr mat under it will help too. Also you may have your speed up to high. If you are cutting in a carpeted room you need to put y0our table on solid plywood - the thicker the better -- These are just a few of the tips I learned.
            Sharon
            PS Welcome to the forum

Comment

Welcome to the group Diane
              You've definately found the right group to ask questions of . I have learned a ton here, and continue to make progress
              ....enjoy
              ...~Robert~
              DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Hi Diane

Rather than cutting out small objects, you might enjoy more success if you cut larger ones. The extra weight of the wood will work against any tendency for the blade to catch and lift your workpiece.

Welcome to the forum .

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Dbonner

Thanks so much for the welcome. I am collecting tons of patterns. I really want to make some yard art stuff. I haven't tried any large items yet. I do have a jigsaw also, and I know I will have to cut larger patterns using the jigsaw. I'm not too familiar with the jigsaw yet either. Thanks for your help.
                  Diane

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by KarlB
                    Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                    Today, 09:41 PM
                  • KarlB
                    Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                    by KarlB
                    Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                    Today, 09:31 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by will8989
                    Beautiful!...
                    Today, 09:19 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by will8989
                    Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                    Today, 09:09 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                    ingers crossed
                    Today, 07:35 PM
                  Working...
                  X