Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scroll sawing vs fretwork whats the differance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scroll sawing vs fretwork whats the differance?

whats the differance between scroll sawing and fretwork, and what do you need for fretwork?

Scroll sawing is cutting with a scroll saw. Fretwork is a type of scroll sawing and could be anything from portraits to ornaments it basically means just leaving small parts to hold things together.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

oh ok thank you. so you use the same equipment its just harder

Comment

Fretwork essentially refers to scrollsawing the inside cuts. The requirements are similar, but some saws are better suited for fretwork, due to their design. It really helps to have a saw with very simple, reliable blade clamps, because for fretwork you will be removing one end of the blade many times on each project to thread it through the entry hole. And that is another requirement for fretwork, you really do need some way to accurately and consistently drill entry holes in the piece. A drill press is preferred, but there are other methods.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thank you i dont have a drill press. i do have a hand held drill well my step dad said i could have one of his. will that be good?

Comment

That will work, some of us use a dremel or rotary type tool.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

oh i have my own dremel i didnt even think of that.

Comment

If you Google fret saw and look at Wikipedia you'll get a good explaination . Scrollsawing is the same as fret work only using a powered scrollsaw .
                Roger

Comment

Originally posted by flagrl View Post
                  oh i have my own dremel i didnt even think of that.

The key thing to note is that you need the ability to drill holes that are perfectly perpendicular to the surface of the wood. This is difficult to do consistently by freehand. The reason the holes need to be perpindicular is that if they are drilled at an angle, even a slight one, they could wander into parts of the pattern where you don't want them, by the time they reach the bottom of the wood. This is especially critical in thicker material and/or stack cutting.

The Dremel is a suitable alternative to a drill press, but I recommend you consider getting either the work station attachment;

220-01 WorkStation? / Model: 220-01

or the plunge router attachment;

335-01 Plunge Router Attachment / Model: 335-01

Either of these will enable you to drill consistently vertical holes. You will also need the drill chuck for the Dremel, as well as some appropriately sized drill bits.
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Flagrl...I have a scroll saw that I use almost every day, yet I do not do any fretwork.... (I need to try that I guess) I use mine to make toys,to do double bevel inlay and Intarsia. There are many things that can be done with a scroll saw.
                    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Wilson View Post

The Dremel is a suitable alternative to a drill press, but I recommend you consider getting either the work station attachment;

220-01 WorkStation? / Model: 220-01

Comment

that looks real good i might have to get one soon

Comment

Just a little more info on those 2 Dremel accessories, The router base may be a little easier to use for drilling holes on large fretwork pieces. You aren't limited where you can dril holes by the distance between the bit and the column like you are on the work station. You can get around this limitation on the work station, but if all you are going to use it for is drilling holes for fretwork, the router base may be better choice. The work station is perhaps more versatile, overall. I have it and it works fine for me, but I also have a full size drill press.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X