• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jreece
    replied
    thanks for the info

Originally posted by north wood clocks View Post
    Hello jreece
    Quite a while ago we realized that older photocopiers do err and the only way we have been able to minimise the error is to photocopy the whole pattern at one time on one machine and orient the patterns the same way at all times. Check the photocopies to the original to see that they are accurate. Another way to minimise the chance of error is to cut all the vertical walls of each floor or layr at the same time---That is , if the base is 4 inches high, cut all 3 pieces 4", meter the corners and check against the floor layout. If all fits, center the scrollwork pattern on the boards and do your cutting. If the next vertical wall is 9 1/8 inches tall, cut all 5 wall pieces 9 1/8 "---don't forget to cut any full height decoratives at the same time 9 1/8 ". Most times you can stack pile remembering to allow for right - left sides. You can easily stackpile 2 1/4 " pieces of wood or 2 3/8"pieces and 4 or more 1/8 " depending on the difficulty of the pattern. The Roman Cathedral has fairly large body pieces so you can cut them on your table saw or metre saw or a band saw for the small pieces. Keep all your fingers. Be careful. You will get a much better fit on these tools over a scrollsaw. Keep us posted and we like pics.
    Norman
    thanks norman..for the info.....as this is my first wildwood pattern...I've discovered how true the old adage of "measure twice...cut once" actually is

Leave a comment:

• north wood clocks
    replied
    Hello jreece
    Quite a while ago we realized that older photocopiers do err and the only way we have been able to minimise the error is to photocopy the whole pattern at one time on one machine and orient the patterns the same way at all times. Check the photocopies to the original to see that they are accurate. Another way to minimise the chance of error is to cut all the vertical walls of each floor or layer at the same time---That is , if the base is 4 inches high, cut all 3 pieces 4", meter the corners and check against the floor layout. If all fits, center the scrollwork pattern on the boards and do your cutting. If the next vertical wall is 9 1/8 inches tall, cut all 5 wall pieces 9 1/8 "---don't forget to cut any full height decoratives at the same time 9 1/8 ". Most times you can stack pile remembering to allow for right - left sides. You can easily stackpile 2 1/4 " pieces of wood or 2 3/8"pieces and 4 or more 1/8 " depending on the difficulty of the pattern. The Roman Cathedral has fairly large body pieces so you can cut them on your table saw or metre saw or a band saw for the small pieces. Keep all your fingers. Be careful. You will get a much better fit on these tools over a scrollsaw. Keep us posted and we like pics.
    Norman

Leave a comment:

• Galt
    replied
    Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
    Not all copy machines or scanners do exact 100% copies either always double check.
    Part and parcel why the old ammonia blue print copiers had such a long run.

I've never regretted spending money on quality rules, scales, squares, and set up gauges. Nuthin' sucks quite as bad as getting to assembly and discovering that even after two more cuts, the part is still too short.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    Not all copy machines or scanners do exact 100% copies either always double check. You can also use a heat gun/hair dryer to loosen hot melt glue as well as a microwave oven in slow increments.

Leave a comment:

• jreece
    replied
    thanks for the reply.....as you might know.....glue was dry when I discovered the height difference.....lucky for me I used hot glue...so I just put my little pencil torch to it an off it came

Leave a comment:

• Okie
    replied
    I recently had a 6" ruler that came with a little desk box organizer and it was not accurate. I tried measuring something with it and it didn't come out right, I took a tape and sure enough it was off almost an 8th of an inch so it went in the trash.

Leave a comment:

• jreece
    started a topic inaccurate measurements on roman cath. clock pattern

inaccurate measurements on roman cath. clock pattern

hey guys....has anyone here noticed any measurements that are off with this type of pattern....lm currently building one an for some reason a panel or two has come out shorter than others....I've always cut on the line......pattern has been copied....but I dont think that affects it.....thanks for the help

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X