getting started, blades, wood, exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started, blades, wood, exercises

I bought the Dewalt 788 and I bought scroll saw workbook by john nelson which has 25 exercises to learn scroll sawing basics. I bought a 1x6x8 #2 pine for initial practice cutting exercises..........and I can see that he recommends 1/8 and 1/4 ply for future exercises.

questions:

should I purchase several dozen skiptooth #3 and #5 for learning period
    should I purchase a few sheets of baltic birch 1/8 and 1/4.........12x24......for learning period
    should I purchase 1/4 ply cherry, walnut and maple for initial gift projects
    what is the simplest finish for a beginner

thnx

Where to purchase??

Floridagramps is on the hook to deliver respectable gifts in 4 weeks........hope that is doable

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures.

The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.

Take some time to read the bylaws of the forum. We do not allow open/direct selling on the forum.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Blades are readily available in a wide variety of types, sizes, tooth configurations and manufacturers. Probably the two most popular are Flying Dutchman and Olson blades. Any standard scrollsaw blade will work in the Dewalt.

Links to the blade suppliers can be found over in the left margin of this page, under Scroll Saw Resources > Retailers. Most folks will tell you that Mike's Workshop is the best place for the Flying Dutchman blades and Sloan's Woodshop is a good source for Olson blades. Call either one of them and you will talk to a real person who can give you first hand advice on their blades and their service is excellent.

You can also get your plywood at sloans. Can you make presentable gifts within 4 weeks. I assure you anything you make will be cherished Grampa.
      Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Flying Dutchman blades are all I use.

Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

You live about 15 minutes away from me. Check your private messages. We need to get you started if you want to make Christmas gifts.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            You live about 15 minutes away from me. Check your private messages. We need to get you started if you want to make Christmas gifts.

Jan
            THATS what makes this forum so priceless!! Tons of information, and people always willing to help out! Congrats on your new saw Gramps! Id say yes, get yourself some 1/8th, some 1/4th thick BB plywood, possibly from Sloan's Woodshop - " The Scroll Saw Store " and get some blades from Mike's Workshop English featuring: my life story, a cancer survivor, scrollsawing samples and tips, community service, list of favorite sites and Flying Dutchman fretsaw blades for sale. and by all means get ahold of Jan!!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Sounds like help is on the way. Good for you Jan!

Once you have a sense of where you are going with your projects, I like to let the project determine the material. Plywood is great for some things and solid wood is great for others, but they aren't necessarily interchangeable, IMHO. The particular species of wood you use is best determined by the particular characteristics of that wood, such as the color, grain, hardness and availability. Be open to using whatever strikes your fancy as there isn't an all purpose, best wood for everything.

As for the finish, that too will depend on a few factors. What kind of look do you want? Does the finish need to protect or just look good? How big is the project? Etc and Etc. Lots of folks like to dip their projects. This works great for smaller fretwork pieces, as it's easy to get in all the inside cuts. Danish oil is a nice finish for dipping (available under several brand names, sometimes also called antique oil). Dipping probably isn't applicable for large projects.

Another good method of application is to spray. For spraying you want a quick drying finish. Lacquer, waterborne varnishes and shellac are all available in spray cans and work pretty well. Waterborne and shellac will have the least offensive fumes, if you are spraying inside. For fretwork, you need to hit the piece from several different angles, to get into all the inside cuts, but it's easier than brushing or wiping on a finish. Spraying presents it's own challenges and can get a little expensive, if you use a lot of spray cans, so as you can see, just like wood, there is no one-size-fits-all solution to finishing. At least that's my $.02.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X