Fundemental question - saw speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundemental question - saw speed

I have another newbie question. What should determine the speed I setfor the blade. Should I change the speed of the blade depending on how fast or slow I want to cut? Or is the blade speed set for the type or hardness of the wood? I tend to cut everything pretty slow.

Thanks,
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Hi Regis. Good question. There is not an exact answer to your question as the speed of the blade is governed by the material being cut and also the thickness of the material. With experience you will come to know what the best speed is but as a general rule the thicker and harder the material the slower I go and also the higher the blade number I use as well. I have found with thick hardwood I must have the right blade matched with the right speed. I was cutting a name in 1 inch thick oak earlier and thought a number 5 blade would be okay but it was just that bit to fine and when the smoke started coming I changed to a number 7 and that was fine. Keep up the good work Regis.

Comment

Regis,

It's good question and I like you tend to run it slow turning up the speed as the blade dulls. I'm probably completely wrong but I'm looking forward to the replies from the great and good.
      Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

That's one of those " ain't a wrong way" What ever works the best for you and gives the best results. I prefer high saw speed with a slow feed. For me that virtually eliminates sanding in interior cuts and makes very sharp corners easier and smoother.
        The only time I use a very slow speed is when I'm cutting coins.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I use 98% of the time the higest speed om my saw. I like very good tension and push very slow into the blade. Let the blade do the cutting they say. I use the same high speed for any wood that I am cutting.
          You never can be in a hurry. I use 2" clear package tape on top of the pattern. Some like to use the blue painters tape on the wood with pattern on top.
          FD Mike
          SD Mike

Comment

As you can see, there is no sure fire answer. My basic rule of thumb is If it seems like the cut is going to slow, speed up the saw. If you can't stay on the line, slow the speed down. It's something you have to get a feel for yourself.
            Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

The right and only answer is "whatever works best for you". Like Mike I tend to use the higher speeds for most of my cutting. It will take some practice. I find at the lower speeds I am more prone to "push" and not let the blade cut.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I keep the speed dial on my saw right in the middle 99% of the time. If I need to increase the speed to keep the blade cutting, I replace the blade. If using a new blade doesn't help, then I increase the speed. This is only necessary for very hard or unusually thick wood.

Comment

Like the others, I find the speed changes for blade to blade and saw to saw. Some saws vibrate a lot at higher speeds, so if it cuts straight and does not send smoke signals, then it is a good speed. Experience with your equipment is the best teacher. Keep at it and remember the object is to have fun.

Comment

dgman was saying; If you can't stay on the line, slow the speed down.
                    I have to disagree. Most blades have a burr what makes them cut to the right. All you have to do, move the wood some degree to the right and you will be surprised how easy it is to stay on the line.
                    FD Mike
                    SD Mike

Comment

I think there's a difference between blade drift and going too fast to successfully control the cut. Blade drift can be a contributing factor in control, but if you are running the saw at a high speed in very thin material that offers little resistance to the blade, you will tend to wander off the line more readily and thus should slow the speed and/or feed rate down.
                      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Rolf
                        So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                        I like the fact...
                        Today, 08:34 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by will8989
                        Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                        Today, 08:17 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                        Today, 08:17 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by Rolf
                        Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                        Today, 08:10 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Supermax
                        by NC Scroller
                        Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                        Today, 08:00 AM
                      Working...
                      X