Information on sanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on sanders

I would be interested in hearing some recommendations on sanders. I know there are several on the market. But being new to scrolling,
    I have no clue what's good & what isn't. Thanks , Roadhog
    George

Hummm,

What kind of sanders would we be discussing?

Hook & loop or PVA or clipped...

Random Orbit Sanders
    Belt Sanders
    Oscillating Spindle Sanders
    1/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 sheet Sanders
    1/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 sheet Orbital Sanders
    V-Drum Sanders
    Thickness Sanders
    Round sheet Sanders
    Detail Sanders
    Contour Sanders
    Mop Sanders
    mini-mop Sanders
    Block Sanders

Well, I may have missed some, but you get my drift: There's a lot to talk about if you don't state what you have in mind a little more precisely

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I have a 1/4 sheet palm sander and a small sanding drum for my drill press.
      My favorite is Colonel Saunders. He really takes the edge of my appetite.

Actually I want a belt sander with a disk sander as a stationary tool. I think that will be my next power tool purchase.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

please excuse the mess...

I've got the Ryobi 4x36 belt and disk sander combo...

I don't know what I would do without my oscillating spendel sander...

I also have the mouse and hand sander....

Trout
        Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
        Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

I also have the Ryobi belt and disc sander. I bought it from Home Depot for $100. The only other sander I have is a B & D mini mouse vibrating sander. I love them both.
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

TROUT!

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I think I saw the shadow of a whisper of a splinter of wood on that floor

What is Mrs Trout going to think of that?

Marcel

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Ok,

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem.

I freely admit I'm a tool junkie.

I have:
              - B & D Dragster best sander
              - Makita 5" Orbital sander (I love it)
              - 1/3 sheet B&D sander
              - 1/4 sheet B&D orbital sheet sander
              - Mastercraft Contour sander ( a gadget)
              - Mastercraft 4"X26" & 8" belt sander combo
              - Rigid Oscillating spindle sander
              - Drill press drum sander kit
              - a Dremel with sanding disks & drums

In 2 weeks, I'm planning on purchasing a mop sander, mini mop sander & 30" V-drum sander kit from Stockroom supplies at a wood fair here (Told my wife I was budgeting around $800 tool spending money at the fair)

Yep, I got a problem: no room for all the tools

Marcel

Comment

Easy Fellas. He's new to scrolling. He's probably looking at those lists and thinking "Oh my God. I've got to have all that??" Then either he's crying thinking of the expense or if he's rich salivating at the thought of buying all the new toys.

I've got two sanders. One is the B&D mouse. It's okay. The other is a Ryobi random orbital sander. It will accept both hook and loop and PSA type sandpapers.

I prefer a random orbital and as far as features go I would definitely want variable speed above all others. For me that's useful for sanding after finished cutting if need be. I can have it slower on some more delicate cuts.

As far as brands go, I think it's pretty much a personal preference.

Good luck.

Comment

Roadhoag,

Sparhawk is right.

I said I'm a tool junkie, and it's true.

And you definitely don't need all of what I have (and I probably don't either).

You could get buy with a piece of cork and a scrap of wood (the cork is padding).

What did you have in mind when you asked your question?

If you want recommendation on a type of sander, we need to know more on what you intend to do as a scroller: fretwork, intarsia, segmentation?
                  And what's your budget/ targeted price range?
                  Where are you located?
                  How are you set up: In the kitchen or garage or workshop?
                  Do you have dust collection: DC unit, shop vac, broom?

If it's a generic question, then as I have mentionned it's a vast subject.
                  A random orbit sander is definitely a good thing to have in general.
                  If you want to do intarsia, a spindle sander or drum sander, and mop sander can be usefull

So, if you can provide some answers, we can start helping you target your needs and desires: be aware that those two can be completely different, or so my wife tells me.

Regards,
                  Marcel

Comment

Roadhog, I assume you are talking about a sander for scroll work. The only sander I use for portraits and scenic pictures is a random orbit sander. I sand the wood down to 320 or 400 grit before I apply the pattern I am cutting. When the cutting is done I very lightly go over it with 320 or 400 grit paper wrapped around a block of wood, if you use the correct blade the cut edges should need no sanding. I have some very small files I will use to correct mistakes. I do have a belt sander, 1/3 sheet sander, oscillating spindle sander and a detail sander but I don't use any of them for scroll work.
                    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Hey, I have a carpet down where I work too, and it even has a pad under it..I got it from a carpet place for free..all I had to do was tell them what I needed and they went out back and found me a chunk.
                      I'm using a jet spindle sander, and I agree with trout that I couldn't live without it. The delta he has is a great machine too, but the jet has a 1/4 inch spindle and the delta only goes down to 1/2 inch.
                      I'm using a 6 x 48 grizzly stationary belt for most of my profiling because of it's size and power. I don't really like grizzly, but this was really cheap at a garage sale. I used to us a little 4x36 but it is way underpowered. I still use the small one for really small pieces, and I use it to hold pieces on when I am hand sanding..oh, and i use it to scrape the burrs off the bottom of pieces..rub rub rub.
                      of course i have the standard 5" orbital, and an air powered die grinder.
                      What I'm really saving for and craving is a big drum sander...like a 25 or 36" wide model. That's been on my Santa list for years and it's still not looking too close in the future, sigh...
                      Jeff Powell

Comment

Info on sanders

Okay,okay! I guess I should have been more specific. I was more interested in belt & disc combos & spindle sanders. I noticed some of you have the Delta Shopmaster, which is one I looked at for about $100. Since I'm new to scrolling, the stuff I'm doing has a lot of imperfections.(The wife says I'm a perfectionist.I don't know where she got that!) I'm getting a lot of chipping on the backside of my work.Thank you all once again for your help-Roadhog
                        George

Comment

One possible solution to your chipping could be to use a backer board.

Regards,
                          Marcel

Comment

Delta Shopmaster...

if you can get it for a $100 I would jump on it...I paid $180 on sale for mine...

Trout
                            Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                            Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

I bought the Big Sand flee at the Open House Friday. I will let you kow how I like it in a few weeks. I still need an osscilating spindle sander.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X