how do you get the wood to stop slapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you get the wood to stop slapping

today i tried to cut out circles to see if i could, not that great but getting there, but the wood keeps slapping. i am using pretty thick wood i think. like 1 1/2" i cut it in half and it seemed to do a little bit better but i only tried it twice. could that be the problem? any suggestions would be great thank you

The blade catches in the wood and causes the slapping up and down if you are not allowing it to do its work and cut through the curve or turn. Take your time, allow the blade to cut as you gently turn through the curve and it should minimize the problem. Usually the thicker the wood the more that happens. If you are making a sharp turn put a little pressure on the back of the blade so it doesn't catch or cut until you've made the turn. This takes a little practice.

BTW, where are you in FL?
    Jan
    Last edited by ChuckD; 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

ok i will try that right now thank you i live in gainesville

Comment

I agree with Jan,
        Have good tension, good speed and do not push too hard into the blade. Let the blade do the cutting.
        FD Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

ok i tried it, i think i was using too thick of wood anyway, i broke my blade today i have one more but it was bent at first i hope i can buy some soon. i was trying to push the wood thru so before the blade broke i tried no to push it. seemed a little bit better

Comment

I might also add to make sure that the blade teeth are pointing down toward the table. Sometimes it's hard to tell with smaller blades, run your thumb nail along the blade teeth to make sure. More than once I've checked the blade teeth and still put it in the saw upside down.
            Pat
            Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

You will find even with the proper tension, proper feed rate of the work piece if you are using any type of scroll saw blade with reverse teeth. If you do not maintain pressure on the top of the work piece with your finger tips , the wood will slap up and down from friction of the blade.

It takes practice, good tension on your blade, proper feed rate, and constant pressure on top of the work piece. Of course having the blade in the correct way helps immensely <smile>.
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

That is really thick wood. I would start off with something a lot thinner like a 1/4 inch and then you will find it much easier and you will not need so much pressure to hold it down. You need to practice following lines with some tight curves and right angles. When you have had lots of practice work your way up to the thicker stuff.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by will8989
                  None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                  Today, 12:20 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                  The bags seem easier on the surface.
                  But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                  Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                  Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                  Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by NC Scroller
                  I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                  Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                Working...
                X