Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Which scroll saw in the uk please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Which scroll saw in the uk please?

I would recommend a Delta with Quickset 2 blade clamps but I'm a bit biased because I've only used a Delta since '94, these are only to be found second hand now in the UK, there are 4 on ebay now, one is 110 volt, if you want a new one then Axminster or SIP tend to have good revues.

Comment

Though not up to knowledge on all the scroll saws available, I can tell you to avoid Titan and Erbauer like the plague, as I have returned both of them as they are virtually unfit for purpose. Both were from Screwfix, however, there are a number of other models from other retailers which look very similar in build, which I would also avoid based on my experiences.

Perhaps the SIP 01928 may be fine for that price band, but as I havent tried this out, I am unable to say for sure that it will be any good.

Shame to say, Id love to be able to afford the higher end models myself too.

Hope this helps narrow down your search.

Comment

Oh, and loftyhermes, where in mansfield are you? Im in Forest Town... small world huh!

Comment

very small world lukenotts, I'm in Warsop

Comment

Hi Panacea, did you get the SIP 01928 and what is it like? Please can you let me know?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Panacea, did you get the SIP 01928 and what is it like? Please can you let me know?

Thanks

Comment

Hi. Like you I am in the UK. Please don't even consider getting an excalibur. The ones sold in the UK are rubbish and most that have been bought have been returned including the ex-21 that I had, in the States they seem to be made from better quality materials. You next best bet is the AWFS-18 from Axminster but it is double the money that you have available. There have been good reports on this saw. Everything else that is available in the UK is Chiwanese and what you would call entry level scroll saws. If you are pushed for cash then probably the SIP saw would fit the bill but make sure you can get quick release blade clamps. I consider variable speed essential as you may be cutting thin plywood up the thick hardwood. You need to have the saw bolted down on a firm bench or a stand. In your shoes I would look for a pre-owned AWFS-18, try e-bay, if you find one you need to see it running and maybe try it out first. When you get your saw get your blades from Mikes workshop, they are the best. Don't use the blades that come with a new saw, they are usually rubbish, If you need any more help or advice PM me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                  Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                  by cwmagee
                  Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                  Today, 03:36 PM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                  Today, 02:56 PM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by NC Scroller
                  I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                  Today, 11:24 AM
                • NC Scroller
                  Reply to Big week here
                  by NC Scroller
                  Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                  Today, 11:18 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                  by jim_mex
                  Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                  Today, 09:17 AM
                Working...
                X