Blade alignment from the side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade alignment from the side

Hi, this is my first time on this forum. Ive been scroll sawing for a couple of weeks and im hooked!

I do have a question, and I hope im not being too rude by asking, as a brand new member!

I am using a Peugeot scroll saw, and a random pack of plain end blades from my local hardware store (Im currently waiting for a delivery of the highly recommended Flying Dutchman blades).

I have aligned my blade perfectly when facing from the front, and when the machine is running, I see a crisp black line where the blade is. The same is not true however, when I look from the side. Is this normal? It seems as though the arms holding the blade are not moving perfectly vertical?

Thanks!

First welcome aboard.
    Yes some saws you will see a back and forth motion when looking at the side of the blade. Some saws this can be adjusted other saws this is not the case. Until you decide to upgrade your saw it is something you will need to learn how compensate for. It just takes getting used to the aggressive cut.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Many thanks, I wasn't sure if I was installing the blades wrong, or the machine had a fault.

Comment

It is the machine....
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I think part of it is in the nature and design of the saw. My understanding is the Eclipse is the only saw with a true vertical cutting motion. What that means is all other saws will have varying degrees of forward & backward movement, due to geometry of the blade travel. Much depends on where the pivot point is for the arms. The further away from the blade, toward the back of the saw, the more exaggerated the oscillation is. The real key is does the blade cut square, front to back? This can be tested by putting a block of wood about 1" thick (the thicker the better) up against the running blade so the teeth just kiss the edge. If the depth of cut is the same on the top as it is on the bottom, you are good to go. If there is an over or under cut, the you will have problems, especially in thicker material and when stack cutting.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Although I havent tried the test like you mentioned Bill, I can say after cutting 1" wood, the blade seems to exit the wood virtually perpendicular.. that is, I dont see the blade appear either at the top or bottom of the wood as Im finishing on an edge.

Appreciate all the replies.
            This place seems like a great source of information and a friendly community.

Comment

Just tested, as instructed by Bill,

thought it was a little off perpendicular... until i realised the wood i was using isnt quite square! Tried on a perfectly square piece and it is spot on. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

That's good news. The movement you see then is just part of the saw's design, but not necessarily a flaw. What it does mean is that the saw will likely cut more aggressively than another saw with less forward/backward oscillation. Just something to keep in mind and may come in to play when you are choosing blades.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X