No announcement yet.

what to do if you dont have a workshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do if you dont have a workshop?

i just realized that i dont have a workshop. we have a shed but no electrical outlets. we are renting the house we are in now. but what should i do if i get a scroll saw? sorry if this is a weird question but it just hit me this morning.

Originally posted by flagrl View Post
    i just realized that i dont have a workshop. we have a shed but no electrical outlets. we are renting the house we are in now. but what should i do if i get a scroll saw? sorry if this is a weird question but it just hit me this morning.
    I'll tell you what I did many years ago, when I first got my bandsaw.
    I was in a very small house, and I had a tiny backporch. You would not believe how tiny it was. I put my 12-inch bandsaw right there.
    I had an unattached garage, but had alot of stuff in it and a car....I eventually was able to turn the garage into a shop, but yes I did use that tiny back porch for awhile.

Have you considered those small buildings ....they are actually storage buildings and I think you can even put them on wheels.....like a trailer, so you could move it.
    Other than that.....you could move...find another house to rent where you could have a small shop.

Comment

can you run an extension cord to the shed?

Comment

i have a tiny back porch also didnt even think of using it. and i could move the saw inside when im not using it. great idea ill look and see if i can use it. it think an outlet is right inside the doorway before going out. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by flagrl View Post
          i have a tiny back porch also didnt even think of using it. and i could move the saw inside when im not using it. great idea ill look and see if i can use it. it think an outlet is right inside the doorway before going out. thank you
          Make sure it's grounded.

Comment

One of our forum members started out in her bathroom.
            And I think Sheila Landry works in her kitchen.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think your right Rolf, Shelia does work out of her kitchen. I remember not long ago somebody was sawing in their living room. If you have a basement or a heated garage that is where I would be.-Jim

Comment

My workshop is in a spare room inside the house, it works fine but you need an air filter and a shop vac. If you have the room you could use the kitchen like Sheila.

Comment

I have always cut on the patio or under the shade tree in the back yard.

Means I lose about four months in winter and more when the temps are unbearable, but it IS just a hobby and I do it for relaxation.
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

A basement is good,
                    In the livingroom is fine,
                    A kitchen will work,
                    spare bedroom will do,
                    Or set the saw up by the throne,
                    in case you"ve gotta poo!!!!
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I'd love to know how on earth you can scroll in a kitchen or livingroom and not get sawdust all over your house? Sawdust cookies anyone?

Comment

thank you for your suggestions i have come up with plan A and B when its not too hot or too cold i will be out on the little porch and when it gets too cold or too hot i will be in the extra bedroom right across the hall. i will buy a shop vac thank you. i live in florida so no basement. i think my step dad has a scroll saw and i am going up there in a month so i will get to try it out for a couple of weeks they have a basement where its all set up they live in tennesse i will post pics if i make anything that is semi ok

Comment

I started out on my patio. Ran an extension cord out the door.

George

Comment

For my druthers, I prefer sawing in the house, my wife insists I not, so in the little Barn I go . . .
                            "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

what about saw dust

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X