No announcement yet.

what to do if you dont have a workshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do if you dont have a workshop?

i just realized that i dont have a workshop. we have a shed but no electrical outlets. we are renting the house we are in now. but what should i do if i get a scroll saw? sorry if this is a weird question but it just hit me this morning.

Originally posted by flagrl View Post
    i just realized that i dont have a workshop. we have a shed but no electrical outlets. we are renting the house we are in now. but what should i do if i get a scroll saw? sorry if this is a weird question but it just hit me this morning.
    I'll tell you what I did many years ago, when I first got my bandsaw.
    I was in a very small house, and I had a tiny backporch. You would not believe how tiny it was. I put my 12-inch bandsaw right there.
    I had an unattached garage, but had alot of stuff in it and a car....I eventually was able to turn the garage into a shop, but yes I did use that tiny back porch for awhile.

Have you considered those small buildings ....they are actually storage buildings and I think you can even put them on wheels.....like a trailer, so you could move it.
    Other than that.....you could move...find another house to rent where you could have a small shop.

Comment

can you run an extension cord to the shed?

Comment

i have a tiny back porch also didnt even think of using it. and i could move the saw inside when im not using it. great idea ill look and see if i can use it. it think an outlet is right inside the doorway before going out. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by flagrl View Post
          i have a tiny back porch also didnt even think of using it. and i could move the saw inside when im not using it. great idea ill look and see if i can use it. it think an outlet is right inside the doorway before going out. thank you
          Make sure it's grounded.

Comment

One of our forum members started out in her bathroom.
            And I think Sheila Landry works in her kitchen.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think your right Rolf, Shelia does work out of her kitchen. I remember not long ago somebody was sawing in their living room. If you have a basement or a heated garage that is where I would be.-Jim

Comment

My workshop is in a spare room inside the house, it works fine but you need an air filter and a shop vac. If you have the room you could use the kitchen like Sheila.

Comment

I have always cut on the patio or under the shade tree in the back yard.

Means I lose about four months in winter and more when the temps are unbearable, but it IS just a hobby and I do it for relaxation.
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

A basement is good,
                    In the livingroom is fine,
                    A kitchen will work,
                    spare bedroom will do,
                    Or set the saw up by the throne,
                    in case you"ve gotta poo!!!!
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I'd love to know how on earth you can scroll in a kitchen or livingroom and not get sawdust all over your house? Sawdust cookies anyone?

Comment

thank you for your suggestions i have come up with plan A and B when its not too hot or too cold i will be out on the little porch and when it gets too cold or too hot i will be in the extra bedroom right across the hall. i will buy a shop vac thank you. i live in florida so no basement. i think my step dad has a scroll saw and i am going up there in a month so i will get to try it out for a couple of weeks they have a basement where its all set up they live in tennesse i will post pics if i make anything that is semi ok

Comment

I started out on my patio. Ran an extension cord out the door.

George

Comment

For my druthers, I prefer sawing in the house, my wife insists I not, so in the little Barn I go . . .
                            "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

what about saw dust

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to Wood identification needed
                                by Rolf
                                This site should be on every woodworkers computer. https://www.wood-database.com/ As has been said the first image is Wenge....
                                Today, 07:38 AM
                              • handibunny
                                Reply to I decided I needed a challenge
                                by handibunny
                                I couldn't resist (too long since any new toys) and ordered a blacklight flashlight from Amazon--same price as Harbor Freight. Should be here Tuesday--can't wait to see all the glue spots I've missed.
                                Today, 07:01 AM
                              • handibunny
                                by handibunny
                                If you google "Moradillo" you'll get more information than you'll ever need. It looks like it will work up beautifully.
                                Today, 06:59 AM
                              • dgman
                                by dgman
                                The first picture is Wenge, pronounced WHEN-ghay or WHEN-Gii. It is a very hard wood. It’s splintery and very hard to cut. When finished, it is almost black. I use it when I need a black wood for Intarsia. I do not know anything about the other wood.
                                Yesterday, 10:40 PM
                              • vgraf
                                Wood identification needed
                                by vgraf
                                I have a new neighbor who did a lot of woodworking in the past but had to give it up because of allergies. He sold his shop equipment and wood stockpile when he moved here, however he kept a few pieces of fancy wood and showed them to me. The first one (First Photo) he had no idea what it was. It is...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X