Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting help - cut inside or outside 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting help - cut inside or outside 1st?

I need to cut the walls of a 10" long curving box. I don't know if I should cut inside of the wall first or outside first. Wall will be about 1/4" wide and 1" tall if I can cut it right. I can talk myself into either first and just don't know which is better.

Appreciate any tips.
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Not fully picturing what it is you want to cut. It seems to me it is 6 one 1/2 dozen of the other. Since neither will affect the integrity/strength of the wall I'd say go for either side.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

If it was me doing it, I would do the outside first, as it's what will be visible all the time. I envision myself not feeling as confident at making the second cut, worried about staying absolutely parallel to the first one, so that I would wind up not being as accurate as I would like. Maybe you wouldn't have that sort of issue - just a thought.

Comment

PatteM, that makes sense. I've been concerned about breaking it somewhere as I work around. Cutting around inside of the box wall last seems like it will keep piece more stable as I work around the final curves.
        Thanks,
        Regis

Comment

I am with Mike and not sure of what you are trying to do.
          But for me I always cut from the inside out. Leave the inside pieces in place to support the outside cuts and give you something to hold. The only time I deviate from that is if the outside is all straight cuts and I can do it on the table saw for more precision, then I will do that first and then cut the inside.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I'm cutting the side walls of the Steve Good guitar case. The lid slides over the bottom. Both bottom and top have side walls about 1/4" thick and 1" high. I feel this is thin for a 10" X 5" piece and don't want to break it while cutting. I'll cut it today and hope for the best.
            Thanks,
            regis

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• vgraf
              Reply to A Bear In The Woods
              by vgraf
              Very impressive.
              I'm a little slow......took me a bit to find the bear.😅
              Today, 12:03 PM
            • stephenD
              Reply to A new toy.
              by stephenD
              Well, yesterday, I shot my 18 in the morning. The grands came over and I got one of em to try it out. I had to demonstrate so I got another 12 or so in. Last night I finished up with 90 for the day. Going to challenge myself to one hundred arrows a day for one hundred days. Made an excel spreadsheet...
              Today, 10:34 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to A new toy.
              by Rolf
              That will make Bruce nervous!...
              Today, 08:07 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Need suggestions or a bit of guidance
              by Rolf
              For me to write something like this with my woodburner, even with the fine ball tip pens, is just not possible for me. The variations in the wood grain really complicate things.
              The laser doesn't care about grain....
              Today, 08:05 AM
            • will8989
              Reply to A new toy.
              by will8989
              A few weeks ago Elliott was looking around and saw a bow and arrows in the rafters in the basement. PopPop I didn’t know you had a bow and arrow. I don’t. It’s Mimi’s. Been a long time since I used it. Maybe I should get it out again.
              Today, 08:01 AM
            Working...
            X