1st project beginning to end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st project beginning to end

I've completed my 1st project from photo to line art to cut and finish. A tip from Sheila showed me how to use the inlay technique to raise the center into a frame-like surrounding. Not going to put backing on it. Something else to learn about. It's for a Christment present.
    Wood is about 5/8" thick. Is that too thick for this sort of project?
    Thanks for all the ongoing help.
    Regis
    Attached Files
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Great job, Regis! I like the inlay technique you used. Your choice of 5/8" wood is right. I would of used 1/2", or 5/8". Sign and date it!

Paul
    www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Superb job

steve

Comment

Good job...Turned out nice.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Looks good to me!!
          May the wind at you back .....
          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Looks great! I think a backer would make it look a little more finished but it's not necessary.
            Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Just excellent...!!!

By George, I think he's got it...lol.
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Looks great Regis!!

Comment

I think it turned out great. 5/8 thick is a nice thickness, not to thick, and not to thin. By having the 1/2 to 5/8 inch thickness, it adds to its beauty with the shadowing in the fretcuts. I think ya done good! I agree with dan ( or Max??? the dismembered member) on adding a backer. My opinion, a gloss black piece of acrylic sheet would look great there, and you mentioned in regard to adding a backer "Something else to learn about" . On a piece like this, adding a backer it a piece of cake.cut your backer to fit in the recess on the back created by pushing the center piece forward. If you are unsure how to match that size now that its already assembled, try this : flip the piece over and set it on the table. Lay a sheet of paper over the back.Tape it so it doesnt move if you are concerned of it shifting on you. Now, use your finger or thumb to run around that opening created by the raised center. this should put somewhat of a crease in the paper. Now that will give you a guide as to how big to make your backer.
                  Again, great job Regis
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller View Post
                    My opinion, a gloss black piece of acrylic sheet would look great there, and you mentioned in regard to adding a backer "Something else to learn about" . On a piece like this, adding a backer it a piece of cake.cut your backer to fit in the recess on the back created by pushing the center piece forward. If you are unsure how to match that size now that its already assembled, try this : flip the piece over and set it on the table. Lay a sheet of paper over the back.Tape it so it doesnt move if you are concerned of it shifting on you. Now, use your finger or thumb to run around that opening created by the raised center. this should put somewhat of a crease in the paper. Now that will give you a guide as to how big to make your backer.
                    Again, great job Regis

Thanks, that is interesting and I'll give it a try.
                    Regis
                    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Farmers market "survey"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                      I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                      For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                      Today, 11:14 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                      Today, 11:00 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                      Today, 09:57 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                      I like the fact...
                      Today, 08:34 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                      Today, 08:17 AM
                    Working...
                    X