Beginner fret & inlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner fret & inlay

Not sure if this is the right place to put this. Here is what this novice has been working at for few days. The vase was with my old dremel and the inlays with my really quiet Ex16 that cam in Wednesday. Wow what a difference.

On the inlay, I was confused about tilt. I could not get pieces to fit. Not even close. Read and re-read directions and the inlay challange comments and making those little box cutouts. I had totally missed the association between tilt and cut direction (cw or ccw) and one of the posts mentioned it. I finally got that straight and did a duck inlay in both directions. The one with hole in beak was 1st one that I did. I just used some plywood on these for practice. I do plan on doing one completely with real wood.
    I think I dulled 1 blade doing these 2. Is that possible (#5pgt-Olsen)?

This was lot harder than I thought and a lot of fun.

Great site & great info.
    Thanks,
    Regis
    Attached Files
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

RegisG, Like the vase.The darker one looks better then my one and only inlay. If you hold the eages to a belt sander you can make them roulder. Lance

Comment

Regis, blades will only last 15 to 30 minutes. Depending on what type of wood you are cutting. Plywood is tough on blades because of the glue between the layers. When you have to push on the blade to get it to cut it is time to change to a fresh blade. Some blades in the same pack seem to last for a long time, others will get dull quick. Try the blades from Mike's Workshop English featuring: my life story, a cancer survivor, scrollsawing samples and tips, community service, list of favorite sites and Flying Dutchman fretsaw blades for sale. You will like them.
      Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

You did nice job.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

The more you do it, the more it makes sense, and it does get easier....
          (Having an EX-16 means tilting the head to the right, (rather than tilting the table down to the left).)
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Originally posted by JimSawyer View Post
            The more you do it, the more it makes sense, and it does get easier....
            (Having an EX-16 means tilting the head to the right, (rather than tilting the table down to the left).)
            Yep, I know tilt now. I started with head right tilt from 1.5 - 6 degrees until I read discussion you had with someone about tilt & direction. For whatever reason I had glossed over cut direction on the instructions. And now I know.

Thanks all,
            Regis

Comment

But now that you've climbed that mountain, you're better prepared for it in the future.
              So will there be more inlay in your future???

By the way nice work...!!!
              I saved your finished photo for the second wave of ducks that I hope to see after the holidays...
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim. Yes, you'll see more inlay from me. But, I like fret some and want to do plenty of intarsia. Because I don't need to get production speeds, I hope that I can work all 3 areas as inspiration drives. Right now though, it's basics & basics and getting those turns clean.
                Thanks,
                Regis

Comment

Nice work on the inlay. I haven't tried any myself yet. I might have to look into it though.
                  Don't bother with role models and hero's. Just be yourself. Unless yourself is just too much trouble for you to handle.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                    Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                    by Jim Finn
                    The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                    Today, 04:48 PM
                  • MidMich324
                    Reply to Plastic puzzle
                    by MidMich324
                    Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                    Today, 03:57 PM
                  • RJweb
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by RJweb
                    As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                    Today, 03:42 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Farmers market "survey"
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                    I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                    For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                    Today, 11:14 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Farmers market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                    Today, 11:00 AM
                  Working...
                  X