1st ever slightly intricate project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st ever slightly intricate project

This is my 1st project that is not just a fairly simple cut. I learned here (on this site) how to stack and and basically navigate corners. I learned more about blades too. Now, I've learned that if I'm not a LOT more accurate, I'll be spending a lot of time sanding and filing to smooth my wavy lines.

Thanks for all the helpfull people and tips.
    Regis
    Attached Files
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

You did a fine job and the wavy lines will get better with practice. Long straight cuts and circles are difficult to master.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

RegisG, I bet you learned alot with that one. Your next one well be better,Looks good, Thanks for posting a picture. Lance

Comment

You're doing fine. Like Mike said it all gets easier with practice. Sometimes the pattern allows you to wander off the line a little, without it being too noticeable. In such cases, it's better to get back to the line gradually, rather than suddenly. Resist the urge to stop & start. Once you are able to maintain a nice, consistent feed rate, you will see a lot of those bumps disappear. Try to focus on the line, just ahead of where you are sawing and you'll learn to anticipate the turns. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but it works.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill gives excellent advice. One more tip: sand the inside cuts before you separate the stack. That way you are only sanding all the layers in the stack once!
          Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Thanks all for encouragement and tips. I've decided to just make things for practice rather than just practice cuts on scrap. As long as I'm making small stuff, there won't be a lot of wasted wood (important now that I have a gas fireplace).

Thanks again,
            Regis
            An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

That is a fine job indeed.

Comment

It takes time.
                My first intricate project was way over my head, I broke it bad while cutting it.

Bob
                Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• daveswoodworking
                  Ornament Exchange
                  by daveswoodworking
                  I have the Ornament and Secret Santa Exchange up and ready for everyone that what’s to join this year you have until nov. to sign up this year thank you all that joins up this year
                  Yesterday, 08:12 PM
                • sawdustus
                  Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
                  by sawdustus
                  Thanks for the info Denny. When I cut acrylic I always use a skip tooth blade at a slower speed. I just did not realize that the epoxy would cut the same way as acrylic so I followed the materials list in the article.
                  George
                  Yesterday, 12:39 PM
                • sawdustus
                  Reply to tooth fairy box
                  by sawdustus
                  OK folks, picture. I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here is one each of my version of the oak and cherry boxes. Note the axle peg holding the top in place but allowing it to move.
                  George
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Yesterday, 12:34 PM
                • sawdustus
                  Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
                  by sawdustus
                  OK folks, picture....I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here are a few of the autumn leaves I cut against the beautiful blue sky we had this morning.
                  George
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Yesterday, 12:32 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to What do you make
                  by will8989
                  Now the work really begins. Total of 14! Guess I forgot about some I previously cut....
                  09-23-2021, 10:09 PM
                Working...
                X