1st ever slightly intricate project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st ever slightly intricate project

This is my 1st project that is not just a fairly simple cut. I learned here (on this site) how to stack and and basically navigate corners. I learned more about blades too. Now, I've learned that if I'm not a LOT more accurate, I'll be spending a lot of time sanding and filing to smooth my wavy lines.

Thanks for all the helpfull people and tips.
    Regis
    Attached Files
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

You did a fine job and the wavy lines will get better with practice. Long straight cuts and circles are difficult to master.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

RegisG, I bet you learned alot with that one. Your next one well be better,Looks good, Thanks for posting a picture. Lance

Comment

You're doing fine. Like Mike said it all gets easier with practice. Sometimes the pattern allows you to wander off the line a little, without it being too noticeable. In such cases, it's better to get back to the line gradually, rather than suddenly. Resist the urge to stop & start. Once you are able to maintain a nice, consistent feed rate, you will see a lot of those bumps disappear. Try to focus on the line, just ahead of where you are sawing and you'll learn to anticipate the turns. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but it works.

Good luck and have fun making sawdust!
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Bill gives excellent advice. One more tip: sand the inside cuts before you separate the stack. That way you are only sanding all the layers in the stack once!
          Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Thanks all for encouragement and tips. I've decided to just make things for practice rather than just practice cuts on scrap. As long as I'm making small stuff, there won't be a lot of wasted wood (important now that I have a gas fireplace).

Thanks again,
            Regis
            An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

That is a fine job indeed.

Comment

It takes time.
                My first intricate project was way over my head, I broke it bad while cutting it.

Bob
                Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by Jim Finn
                  The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                  Today, 04:48 PM
                • MidMich324
                  Reply to Plastic puzzle
                  by MidMich324
                  Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                  Today, 03:57 PM
                • RJweb
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by RJweb
                  As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                  Today, 03:42 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Farmers market "survey"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                  I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                  For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                  Today, 11:14 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                  Today, 11:00 AM
                Working...
                X