Clear All

• owler
    replied
    Tha'ts some detailed cutting!

Leave a comment:

• PeteB
    replied
    Kewl!

Below is a puzzle piece I could cut no other way than slow as molasses. It's only a bit more than 2" tall, but took the better part of an hour to cut because ruining it would have meant wasting an expensive picture, wood, and a lot of other work.

It was worth the effort, though, because people gasped when they saw it.

Pete
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Congratulations!

Time to leave the butterflies and soar with those hawks
    Way to go!

Leave a comment:

• owler
    replied
    It took a little while longer than I thought to get back to this. The hawks were flying(unless I get a pedal saw, it's tough to scroll sitting on a mountain top ridge with binoculars) and the open house was underway.

I finally got it right!

I presented my daughter with a butterfly that had two matching antenna. I was able to cut the whole piece in one direction. I just slowed the saw WAY down around the very tight radius of the antenna. When I finished I did a little dance (not pretty to see, but I was alone in my basement after all).

Thank you all for your advice!

I am really glad I spent the time doing this. This one small pattern covered a lot of technical details about cutting and my skills have dramatically improved. I litterally cut this pattern about 25 times until it was perfect.

I hope not to cut anything with a butterfly in it for a least another month. On to bigger and better things.

Leave a comment:

• SharonW0111
    replied
    Owler-- Have you thought of gluing the broken piece back on? I know we have all fixed a lot of pieces that break and with a little glue you won't be able to tell it was ever broken
    Sharon

Leave a comment:

• Mick Walker
    replied

Trying this again to see if I can get them smaller. Gill, I deleted the larger ones. Mick
    Last edited by Mick Walker; 09-23-2006, 11:09 AM. Reason: Added a sentence

Leave a comment:

• Gill
    replied
    Those piccies are rather large. Would it be possible for you to shrink them a little or post new ones which just show the butterfly detail?

Thanks

Gill

Leave a comment:

• wwalker47
    replied
    Olwer-

Do try cutting the antennae with a #3 blade and did you hold a finger down on your work piece as a pivot point? That helps a lot.

-Bill

Leave a comment:

• PeteB
    replied
    There's going slow, and there's going S-L-O-W.

When I am doing very close cutting and I feel like I might botch it, I slow the saw down to a literal crawl, sometimes 1 stroke per second for a few strokes in a spot that must be ultra-precise. If I have a bit more confidence but just want to be a little more careful, I leave the speed alone but back off the feed rate so that the blade can keep up, which helps control.

Tolerances have a lot to do with choosing when to crawl. On the butterfly wings, you can be off pattern by 1/16" and no one will be the wiser. On the antennae, a 1/32" error is going to show up, because it's a larger percentage of the distance across the piece and a visual focal point.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• owler
    replied
    That sounds like it would work. Thanks. I will try again this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• lucky788scroller
    replied
    Ok, try this. Drill a blade entry hole for each antennae. start first with the one your having trouble with, cutting in the same direction as you do for the other. cut that antennae all the way to where you will be changing cutting direction. Remove the blade and put it in the hole for the other antennae, and cut it in the same direction as you did the first one. Then, if they look nicely, cut the rest of the butterfly.If not, try again. If you cut that part first, you will know if its worth moving forward with the rest of the cutting. Good luck, you can do it! Dale

Edit! About your blade, radius ect.. No, your blade is fine. The tight almost 90 degree turn you are trying is causing the blade to twist. Try approaching that cut by cutting up to the line, then back up a bit, and take another cut toward that spot, widening the kerf some so your blade has room to turn without twisting. Remember , you are cutting through 3/4 inch of hardwood. It would be easier on 1/2 inch, because theres much less wood that needs to be removed to make that tight turn.If cutting in the counterclockwise direction, your blade must be getting pretty warm after making that turn around the top of the antenna . On the first antennae, the tight turn over the top is after that area, so the blade isnt as warm
    Last edited by lucky788scroller; 09-21-2006, 08:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• owler
    replied
    Chuck,

The pile sure is growing!

Leave a comment:

• owler
    replied
    Ok - Fret work went great tonight - no complaints. Antenna - same problem.

The first picture shows the whole piece - it's about 4" x 4".

The second show a closer view of the antenna. The right one is always better but as you might be able to se, the bottom of the circle is flat.

The left one always gets screwed up the worst. The circle is not a circle and I always mess up the turn coming out of the circle.

Would a smaller blade help? Is the circle too tight for a #5?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ChuckD
    replied
    Just think of the nice bright fire you are going to have with all this kindling you are making.

Leave a comment:

• owler
    replied
    Thanks for your help.

I will keep practicing. I don't mind doing the whole butterfly because each time I do, the inside cuts get better and better. When I do something wrong, I usually know why. I don't really want to do the project to keep it. Just using it as an exercise to improve skills.

I will try slowing down and the other things mentioned. I will take a picture of tonight's attempt and post it.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X