Hello and 1 small question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and 1 small question

Hello fellow fans of woodworking. I am just getting into scrolling and stumbled across this site in search of some good patterns. I have a question that I think is probably a bit silly but I want to be sure before I proceed. On some of the patterns I see many "Alternate Cut Lines" that would separate parts of what look like a single piece. Can one of you guys fill me in on this? Thanks!

Welcome A Board!! You will be hard pressed to find a friendlier or more knowledgeable group on the net re: woodworking. Share your knowledge and do not hesitate to ask questions.

You may find the stickies at the top of this forum to be very helpful. Use the Link below.

Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback - Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board.

Take a few minutes to read through them. They are chock full of great information.

Be sure and share pics of your projects. We thrive on pictures.

The only dumb question is the one that remains unasked.

Whatever reason brought you to our forum we are pleased you found us.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hello jpav, and welcome. I am sorry, but I am not familiar with the alternate cut lines you are talking about. I don't think I have any patterns that have them. Sorry, I can't help you at all. Where are the patterns from?

Comment

For me especially my own the pattern is a guide butt not locked in stone. I do the final edit on the saw. I think most do the same. We all add our own touch.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Welcome. As for the patterns, the question would be more easily answered if we knew what types of patterns you have seen. I'm not the least bit well versed in fretwork, but I can tell you that some of the intarsia and segmentation patterns have "alternate cut lines" which are used to change the complexity and/or detail of a project. These styles of woodworking involve cutting separate pieces and then assembling them again after shaping them. Hope this helps.

Jan

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the help. I should have included a link to what specifically I was talking about. Below is an example:

Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts - Fall-themed Napkin Holders

Thanks again!

Comment

jpav, all I can say is, you need to let us know what type of scroll pattern it is. Like Jan said, an Intarsia pattern or a segmentation pattern would be different than a fret or portrait scroll. The fret work type or portrait, usually isn't cut out, in pieces, like Intarsia. When you cut a portrait, all of the cuts need to be connected so the remaining wood doesn't fall out of the picture you are cutting. Hope we have helped you in the right way. Good Luck
              PERK

Comment

For clarification. JPV had posted his response prior to Perks response however our spam filter required jpv's post be moderated because it included the link. So it looks like he had posted but perk did not read his post when in fact perk could not see the post until i authorized it. Make sense?
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

By golly he found some alternate cut lines.
                  I'd say you have the option of cutting those or not. They add to the turkey but also make the beak fragile.
                  I'd think in this case they could be cut or not and the project would still be a good napkin holder.
                  Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                  Desert Woodcrafters
                  Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Thanks Stephen. By the way I like your Patrick Henry quote!

Comment

jpav, I agree with StephenD that these alternate cuts are not necessary to make the finished project. They would make it a little more decorative, but also would make the piece much more fragile and likely to break off. Some could possibly break off with blade movement while being cut. Your option, definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                        For clarification. JPV had posted his response prior to Perks response however our spam filter required jpv's post be moderated because it included the link. So it looks like he had posted but perk did not read his post when in fact perk could not see the post until i authorized it. Make sense?
                        Hey, Mike, you are right, I didn't see it. Cleared that up. I see where the lines are & looks like a good pattern. Thanks
                        PERK

Comment

When I saw that pattern I said (as Always) " I got to make that" then forgot it (as Always), Thanks for bringing it back to our attention. This time I got to make that.
                          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                            Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                            by cwmagee
                            A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                            Today, 07:28 PM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Rolf
                            Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                            That is...
                            Today, 08:15 AM
                          • Jimern
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by Jimern
                            The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                            Today, 06:29 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by will8989
                            The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                            Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                            Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                          Working...
                          X