Ready to roll, finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to roll, finally

I joined this forum around a year ago. I was all fired up and ready to scroll. I had just recently purchased a Craftsman 16" back then. I never did get that saw to hold a straight blade. The pin type was fine but the straight blades will pop out just before I had enough tension on it. I tried all of the suggestions but nothing worked. Well last week I found a Dewalt 788 on Craigslist listed for $175. I knew it would be gone but it wasn't. It was quite a little drive out there. I got there plugged it in and it purred like a sewing machine. The table had a lot of rust on it and told the guy it would take some elbow grease to clean it up so I took a chance and offered the guy $150 and he took it!!! I didn't realize it is a type 1 till I got it home. I took the table off and used some brake cleaner and a razor blade to get what rust I could. I used some Krud Kutter rust remover. The table is baby butt smooth, discolored but smooth. I then put a coat of wax on it. It now looks great. This saw was very lightly used. Oh yea, it didn't have the stand with it. I was looking on Ebay and Tool King had three on there for $36.95 with free shipping. I just got the stand and mounted the saw. It looks even better with the stand. I'm so excited I can't even decide what to cut first!!!! I have to pick up some wood first. LOL
    Attached Files

Welcome back and congrats on your new saw. You will be addicted in not time. You got a really good deal on it especially since it is a type 1.! Looking forward to pics of your accomplishments.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Congrats on an awesome find.
      Tony

Comment

Warning..Scrolling can be addictive....Look out for the people on this forum, they'll just feed you all kinds of adVICE and suck you in....lol....

Really congrats on what may be a great saw. My type 1 788 is over 12years old, and purrs like a kitten to this day....

If you want to have some fun try out this Inlay Tutorial and Challenge. It's a neat little project to help you broaden your horizons.. And is a whole lot of fun.....

Oh, and Welcome to the forum. The folks here are truely the best.
        Looking forward to pictures of your work. We love that here..!!!
        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
        No task is too tedious for Art.
        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

That was a good buy, Now get it all dirty with sawdust
          Regards
          John
          "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
          Some of my Stuff
          Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Congrats. That is a Type 1 machine (made in North America). It should be rock solid for many years. BTW, I have seen Type 1's sell for $300 or better so you scored well.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. Now the harder part is to find something I can saw. What type of wood would make good "practice" wood? The big box stores did have much in the way of 1/4" and 1/2" stock. The did have some pine and popular. I don't want to use maple and walnut to practice on even if I could find it. I went to a woodworking show today but about zero things they for scroll sawing. I'm looking for a local source for wood. I am able to resaw and plane so that's a possibility. What is the best width of wood to buy?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                by meflick
                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                Today, 08:21 PM
              • Jo Labre
                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                by Jo Labre
                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                Today, 11:13 AM
              • hotshot
                by hotshot
                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                Today, 10:14 AM
              • Rolf
                by Rolf
                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                Today, 09:32 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                by Rolf
                I haven't even decided what to make!
                Today, 09:27 AM
              Working...
              X