Attaching pattern to wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching pattern to wood

I've been using the Scotch repositionable craft stick in the blue tube. It works great for me and no residue. I had used it when I did some chip carving and found it works good for scrolling. Thought I'd pass it along.

Nice tip, thank you for taking the time to share it.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I like to use blue painters tape and attach the picture to that using the adhesive spray. When you are done just peel the tape off. Works for me

Comment

great tips thanks

Comment

I was using spray adhesive for a long time after I first started 25 years ago, until last summer. I occasionally still need to use it, on bigger patterns. But, I had problems with it not wanting to release after cut, requiring heat or mineral spirits. I also had problems when sawing, with parts of the pattern releasing while cutting, making the patterns flutter up and down with the blade. That makes staying on lines very difficult.
          I now use Xyron 9" and 5" cold laminaters, with repositionable adhesive cartridges. This is a little more expensive, but the patterns work so good. They stay on while cutting, and release when finished. There is no muss, no fuss in getting your patterns ready to cut. It is a very nice solution to the gluing process. Of course, as stated, it does cost slightly more to us than spray adhesives or other glues. But, just in my opinion of course, it is well worth the final results.

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnne View Post
            I like to use blue painters tape and attach the picture to that using the adhesive spray. When you are done just peel the tape off. Works for me
            I shall try this! Adhesive spray is always a pain to remove, or doesnt stick enough.
            Cedarguy

Comment

Could you give us a little more info on the Xyron system you are speaking of.
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

I don't understand the fuss people make about putting on mineral spirits to remove a pattern. All you have to do is apply it with a paint brush, wait one minute and the entire pattern comes up in one shot. I then give the wood a careful wipe with a paper towel. Thats all there is to it. It's really not that big of a deal. Using painters tape under your pattern is nice, but that tape is not cheap. Between cutting, sanding, staining and finishing, removing the pattern with mineral spirits is the easiest part of the entire process.

Comment

I agree with sawdust. Blue Painters tape aint cheep. And a bottle of Minera spirits goes a long way. Just let dry before burning the fuzzies off the project. ouch...!!!

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                  Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                  One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

www.xyron.com
                    This is not for everybody, but for me it is the only way. I am not trying to say it is the best for everybody or anybody else for that matter. Just my way of spreading the word on another option. Thanks. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by JoAnne View Post
                      i tried this for the first time last week and it works great!

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

if it works for'ya don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by sawdust11703 View Post
                          I don't understand the fuss people make about putting on mineral spirits to remove a pattern. All you have to do is apply it with a paint brush, wait one minute and the entire pattern comes up in one shot. I then give the wood a careful wipe with a paper towel. Thats all there is to it. It's really not that big of a deal. Using painters tape under your pattern is nice, but that tape is not cheap. Between cutting, sanding, staining and finishing, removing the pattern with mineral spirits is the easiest part of the entire process.
                          Sounds easy, but in my house - first you have to look for a half hour or so to find the mineral spirits and hope that the last person using it put the top on tight enough so it didn't evaporate, but not so tight you can't get it open. Then you have to find the "right " brush to use so that the oil paint left over from painting doesn't get on the project even though you thought the brush was clean. Oh - and take it all out side because that stuff stinks! And make sure that you get the whole project brushed w/ the spirits because if you miss a spot when you put a finish on you will tell where you missed......

So - much easier to grab the glue stick and use that. If the pattern sticks, just moisten w/a damp rag. No muss, no smell....
                          T
                          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Forester, sounds like you got some straightening up to do, lol. I don't find the odor of mineral spirits to be strong at all, plus they also sell a low odor brand. Also the brush I use for the mineral spirits is not used for anything else. When I'm done, I place it under the handle of the can so it doesn't get lost. An organized workshop is an efficient workshop. As far as glue sticks, I've used them for small pieces when doing intarsia. But for large sized patterns, I don't feel glue sticks are a good method. It's very hard to tell if you got the whole pattern covered and if there is enough glue on it. Nothing worse than the pattern lifting while cutting.

Comment

The blue tape under the pattern method is the best and quickest. However, blue tape is expensive and that's the big drawback. I sell alot of my items. So I do what I can to save on material costs as much as possible. As those of you who sell their stuff know, when you factor in time invested to make something, we are not making a lot of profit. Every dollar you can save counts, especially over the long run.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X