Keeping Luan Flat??? Ideas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Luan Flat??? Ideas???

As you all know we use 1/4" luan plywood for backing and shims for our intarsia projects. I bought mine in your standard 4x8 sheet at Lowe's and had them cut it down there into 3 sections for easy transport. I leaned it up against the wall at home and within a week it was terribly warped. Any ideas to keep it from doing this?? Or is it simply a poor grade ply. I am in Tennessee and I keep the humidity low in my house so I can't figure it out unless I have it cut into smaller sections and possibly lay something heavy on it until I need to use them. Suggestions are appreciated.

Luan is a very low grade ply, mainly used for door skins and floor under layment. always keep it flat. By leaning it against the wall it is always going to warp. You can lay it flat on a concrete floor and weigh it down. It will absorb moisture from the concrete and flatten out again.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks Mike, love your new avatar!!!!

Comment

Thanks...Little light hearted....Hope I was able to help. I usually bring home my luan and pre-cut it to 9x12 or so. Then i can stack it for later use.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I sandwich mine between 2 sheets of 1/2 in ply left over from redoing a roof on my shed. and lean the whole thing against the wall on stickers placed on the floor to prevent moisture from getting in. Seems to work.
          Fredfret
          Wichita Ks

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

Cut 2'x2' and placed book shelf style with other ply works here even with HIGH humidity here that you can take a swallow and satisfy your thirst anytime.
              Tony

Comment

Stack them flat under your bed.

John

Old Dust

Comment

Keeping plywood flat is always a challenge. I have a fairly small shop so storing plywood in large pieces is not practical. I do what has already been suggested. When I buy plywood I decide what I am apt to use it for and cut it to those dimensions and store it flat and weighted down until I use it.
                  Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X