Blade alignment problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade alignment problem

I'm just another frustrated rookie! I have a Craftsman scrollsaw I received as a gift. I bought some pinless blades(several sizes), but when I put them in
    the slots they all hit the side of the throat plate(yes, I did try turning the plate a different way!). If I try to tighten it so there's less blade movement, the blade comes loose. Anyone got an idea whatI'm doing wrong????? Thanks,Roadhog
    George

Originally posted by Roadhog
    I'm just another frustrated rookie! I have a Craftsman scrollsaw I received as a gift. I bought some pinless blades(several sizes), but when I put them in
    the slots they all hit the side of the throat plate(yes, I did try turning the plate a different way!). If I try to tighten it so there's less blade movement, the blade comes loose. Anyone got an idea whatI'm doing wrong????? Thanks,Roadhog
    Hi Roadhog. when you put the blades in the slot. they hit the sides of the throat plate. mmmmmmmm I am wondering. do they hit before you start cuttin? or after you start cutting. if after. could you be pushing the wood? just alittle. if the blade hits after you put the blade in. and befor you start cutting. then i wonder. mmmmm are you putting the blade in the right place. in the crove? top and bottom. where is the blade while in the clamp. when you are not running the saw. is it in the cutout in the tabale plate. does it touch then? reply and we will go from there. don't get frustraited. it happens to all of us. we don't get smart. till we learn how. ok. Evie

Comment

Hi Roadhog,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Let me see if I understand correctly. You say you received this saw as a gift. Is it a brand new saw? The blade hits the side of the throat plate, is this only when you are cutting or all the time? It also sounds like you aren't able to tension the blade without the blade coming loose.

Lets start with the blade clamps and tensioning. Do you have an owners manual? Some Craftsman saws can use both pinned and pinless blades. On the blade clamp there is a little block that has to be turned one way or the other to accept pinless blades. Refer to your owners manual for the correct placement and make sure that is how your saw is set up. I don't think there should be any grooves or slots in the blade clamp for pinless blades. The clamp just pinches the blade tight when tightened with a set screw. At least this is how my old Craftsman was set up.

Now, if you are able to get the blade clamps to hold the blade tight so you can tension the blade properly, (should produce an audible "ping" when plucked) turn on the saw and see if it is still hitting the throat plate. If it is, double check the top & bottom blade clamps to make sure something isn't out of alignment. In other words, the blade should be centered in the clamp. If the clamp blocks are somehow assembled incorrectly, maybe everything is shifted too far to one side, causing your problem. Again the owners manual should give you a picture of how it's supposed to look. If that isn't the problem, then I wonder if the arms and/or linkage are bent? If that is the case, can the saw be returned?

Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe someone more familiar with your particular saw will jump on with better advice. Good luck.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I Have a Craftsman and had a problem like this too untill I figured it out so I will pass it on..
        I don't know which saw you have but I have last years model with the finger screw as a thigtner-- sand it with a piece of sandpaper to make sure it is flat- mine had spurs on it - next the set screw that is holding the little metal guide in the saw needs to be sanded and set flat against the side. this will stop your problem.. my saw had burs and that is what kept it from clamping good. also I did end up replacing the finger set screws with bolts of the same size so I can use a box wrench to make sure they are tight .. Hope this helps. I really do enjoy my saw. I think when you get the bugs out of it you willl like yours also.

Sharon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X