X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom, I had the Hawk 220vs and mounted the magnifying lamp to the saw, just as shown by McScroller. Only difference was that my arm was unpainted aluminum. There is a hole already in that arm near the back of the saw, and the lamp fits right into that hole. I got my lamp at Harbor Freight for under $35. They had two models, but I got the slightly more expensive one that had a hinged cover for the magnifying lens when I wasn't using the saw. It came with a clamp for mounting, but I didn't use that as the post on the lamp fit the hole in the saw arm perfectly. No bolts, etc. needed, and it didn't vibrate.
    John

Excalibur EX21
    RBI Hawk G4

Comment

I purchased one the magnifying lamps from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago. I do not have it mounted to the saw. The previous owner of the house I am living in now built a "workbench" from an old flush door with a filing cabinet on one end and 2x4 leg on the other end to support it. The end with the 2x4's he set back from the end of the door a little bit. Enough to allow me to clamp the light to the "workbench".
      Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

I bought a lighted magnifying lamp at Office Depot yesterday. About $40. I initially mounted it directly to the saw base. There wasn't much vibration, but there was some. I figured it best to get it right from the start so I mounted a piece of 2 x 6 to the set-up table behind the saw. This allowed a stable clamping location for the light. No vibration at all now. I love having the light and the magnification. I doubt I'll do much cutting without it in the future.

Comment

I have the Rockler one,which I love.........but I had a mishap with it.I was inside my storage locker,and smelled something smoking,like what an electric motor smells like as it's burning up.
          The sun had come up,and with no cover on my lens,the sunbeam hit the lens,and like a lazer beam it totally melted the plastic base/switch assy! What are the odds of that happening,having it in just that position? Rats!
          Luckily,I was able to graft on an on-off switch from a Stihl power blower,and repaired it.Doesn't look as nice,though.
          So now I use a 9 inch cotton bonnet from my car polisher that fits pefect as a lens cap.

Steve

Comment

I've since sold my Hawk 220vs and purchased the Excalibur EX21, along with the magnifying lamp sold by Seyco. It does mount to the arm of the saw, but there is NO vibration at all that I can detect, and the lamp stays where I put it. Better yet, it has the brightest white light I've seen to date and really makes the patterns pop out. It also has the hinged cover to protect it when not in use.
            John

Excalibur EX21
            RBI Hawk G4

Comment

hello all i am in bad need of a light some where iwin i was looking at one of the scroll saw sites i seen a light set up that they said it had a 100 watt light in it but i have not ben able to fined it agen it was 100 bucks and comes with 2 lens does any of you all no where it is or where i can get the best light i wood like to spend my cash with a place that sells sroll sawing stuff thank you

Comment

Having recently qualified for AARP membership (which I'll never join, but that's a different issue) I find the light can never be too bright, and the print can never be too large. I now have several of the circline magnifiers and have taken to drilling mounting points for them all over my shop. One between the scroll saw and my sharpening bench, one between a drill press and a small milling machine, and then overhead and shelf mounts over my main bench, the lathe and even the band saw. I have about 3.5 watts per sq. ft. of general lighting ti begin with but these things are invaluable for wiser eyes.
                Ron Paul

Comment

Comment

guys this is an old posting, and I'm new to the scrolling boards, but for what it's worth, as a retired machinist I found that a head lamp/ magnifier works well, I also had a set of glasses made with my reading Rx only. The headlamp magnifier came from Harbor Freight and has several lenses for different magnifications and an LED headlamp

Comment

I have the Rockler LED light/magnifier attached to my EX21 and I love it, no vibrations that I can tell as my saw does not vibrate.
                      Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
                      with a EX-21

Comment

I have mine mounted to a table next to my saw, wouldn't be without mine. Edward
                        http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00&ppuser=6384

Comment

I use a magnifier with a florescent tube built around it. When I bought it I couldn't get used to it but a year later I find it hard to cut without it. VERY glad to have it.
                          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                          Desert Woodcrafters
                          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I have a light and magnifyer mounted to my Ex 21 and there is no vibration. The light and magnifyer are separate, so you can position each.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Comment

I have a magnifier and light combination that I've used for some time now because my eyes aren't like that used to be. I might add that I've never had any kind of vibration at all. I use it on my De Walt 788. David
                              My grandbabies are what keep me going

Comment

Originally posted by dsultralight View Post
                                guys this is an old posting, and I'm new to the scrolling boards, but for what it's worth, as a retired machinist I found that a head lamp/ magnifier works well, I also had a set of glasses made with my reading Rx only. The headlamp magnifier came from Harbor Freight and has several lenses for different magnifications and an LED headlamp
                                I fully agree,a headlamp/magnifier is a lot easier to use than a magnifying light,I have both and now I only use the light for lighting up the work piece.
                                Ken from Ontario,Canada

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X