This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnifying glass with light

Saw some post on here where you use a magnifying glass with a light. Is this mounted to the saw or is it somthing that sits on the table?

Some mount on the saw some are telescoping and attach to a shelf above or near the saw.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by littlepig View Post
      Saw some post on here where you use a magnifying glass with a light. Is this mounted to the saw or is it somthing that sits on the table?
      But, if you mount it on the saw and there is the slightest bit of vibration - it will drive you nuts.
      The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

tgiro,
        you are absolutely right!
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Littlepig, I have a DeWalt saw on a DeWalt stand. I have my lighted magnifier mounted on a board that is clamped to my stand. I do not get any vibration transfered to the light and it stays where I want it.
          Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I have a hawk saw and my magnifing light is mounted on the saw and does not vibrate.

Comment

Originally posted by mcscroller View Post
              I have a hawk saw and my magnifing light is mounted on the saw and does not vibrate.
              I have a Hawk as well and I am thinking of getting a lighted magnifying glass. Could you post a picture of your set-up please?

Comment

Littlepig, I have used one attached to my Hegner and also attached to a shelf next to the saw. I like the one attached to the shelf best of all. I am able to swing it out of the way when not needed.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Here are a few pictures of my saw setup. I hope you find this helpful.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I also have mine mounted on my dewalt 788 & no problem with vibration. You can mount it any way that you see fit & whatever works for you. I like it mounted that way, so when i move the saw, the light & magnifier stays the same. Works great.
                    PERK

Comment

I have a Dewalt and a magnifying lens/light that I got at Office Max. I mounted my light on the wall behind the saw. It is right there where I need it, and is unaffected by any vibrations.
                      Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Originally posted by mcscroller View Post
                        Here are a few pictures of my saw setup. I hope you find this helpful.
                        Thanks, that's just the kind of set-up I'd like.

Comment

I stoped useing mine I found it slowed me down I guess trying to br too carefull staying on the line ??

Comment

Magnifying topic should be made a sticky, it comes up so often.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/too...ades/34068.htm

A word of warning about this magnifier.
                            The magnet base is actually too strong, once it is fixed to metal, it is very difficult to get off.
                            I keep mine flat on the back of the scroll saws base. Occasionally, I'll be working on a larger project, and I have to move the lamp.
                            Its stuck on so good you can't slide it around, so you are forced to grasp the stem of the base, and try to tip it on an edge. Once you do that, you can lift it up and reposition it.

Doing that yesterday, I snapped the base right off from the light.
                            With nothing to grip on to now to tip it, I couldn't even get the base off the saw. I had to use a hammer to bump it over to the edge, where I finally pried it off.
                            Luckily it was a clean break, and I was able to load it with jb weld, and reattach it.
                            Seeking to avoid that happening again, I tested to see how it would hold if there was 1/8 wood between it and the metal. It still stuck really strong, but with the wood there you are able to easily shift it around, or take it off if need be. So I cut a nice circle of scrap wood, and this now sits between the magnet base, and the metal it is attached to.

I advise you do the same, the stem cannot handle the stress of breaking contact when its metal to metal.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Xray; 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I have mine mounted directly to the table on my EX-21. No vibration.

Jan

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Phone call from son.
                                by will8989
                                Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                Today, 10:53 PM
                              • garryatpa
                                Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                by garryatpa
                                Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                                Today, 10:43 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Phone call from son.
                                by meflick
                                Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                                Today, 01:10 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                by meflick
                                Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                                Today, 01:04 PM
                              • John Smith
                                Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                by John Smith
                                Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                                HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                                Today, 10:01 AM
                              Working...
                              X