Cutting curves ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting curves ?

What is the trick to cutting curves without getting flat spots? Saw a post where he ask how to sand inside corners. Response was no need to sand, blade cuts smooth enough. I understand what he meant. I also have to sand to get the flat spots out. Thanks, Dana

One word.

Practice. Not being a smart aleck, it is technique and you will need to practice using your pivot finger and keeping a smooth line of cutting. Do not stop your movement of the work piece as this will result in a flat spot every time.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Like Mike said, using a finger as a pivot is important. Also practice cutting down the middle of the line. If you can stay on the line, you will cut smoother curves.
      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Dana, when cutting a curve or a straight line, if you start to go off the line come back to it gradually rather than abruptly. You will then most likely go off the other side. Like Dan and Mike said, practice. The more you cut the better you get. Try to relax while cutting also. Tight fingers, wrists, arms and shoulders make crooked cuts. Whenever I don't cut for a couple weeks I will make a few practice cuts on a scrap piece to get back in the groove. Go into "Word" if you have it on your computer. Print out a font, glue the entire alphabet to a piece of wood and cut all the letters. By the time you get to Z you will be an expert. Good luck.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

As the others said, practice, practice. However there is another trick if you are cutting an outside circle. Don't cut on the line, but outside of it, then you can use your sander to sand just to the line. Hpe this is of some help.
          Jack

Comment

In my best Jack Benny voice:

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice."

And then be ready to still some flat spots. But as time goes by, the flat spots will get smaller, but your eye will notice them more!
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I agree with the practice and slow but steady idea. The more the better. My trick is to cut with the right (the more aggressive side of most blades) side of the blade in the waste area and to keep the left side just outside the line. A bit of sanding removes any high spots and smooths out the curve.

george
              A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
              George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Go to lumberjocks.com and look up Sheila Landry SS school. She has nice video on how to cut curves. Hope this helps.
                Bob

Comment

Steve Good has made several instructional videos...including one on cutting curves...you can check them out at Scroll Saw School Index. I hope they help a bit...I know they helped me.
                  Bob

Comment

Can't add a thing. Glad some of the OLD pro's stepped in. LOL
                    May the wind at you back .....
                    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by littlepig View Post
                      What is the trick to cutting curves without getting flat spots? Saw a post where he ask how to sand inside corners. Response was no need to sand, blade cuts smooth enough. I understand what he meant. I also have to sand to get the flat spots out. Thanks, Dana
                      I found your post about curves. I can't get them even either. I watched videos and I see them using their finger for the pivot point but they are always moving it. I tried keeping my finger next to the blade and try to make a curve keeping it there but I have to move it or I'll go off the line. I'm also having trouble turning the wood in the right direction to stay on the curve line. I've been at this a week or so now and this lesson is the easy curves. I'm beginning to wonder if starting this at my age and the meds I've taken for yrs have kind of messed up my thinking. Hope you've gotten it down and are making cool stuff.

Comment

I'm still real new at this hobby but I've noticed that when I go real slow I seem to cut better curves, when I get in a hurry I mess up.

Comment

When you drive a car have you noticed that if you look at the horizon you drive in a nice smooth line but if you look at the road right in front of the car you tend to be all over the road? Same thing when cutting. Don't look at the line right next to the blade. Look a little farther down the line you are cutting.
                          T
                          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by oily View Post
                            Can't add a thing. Glad some of the OLD pro's stepped in. LOL
                            I'm also in agreement here also Dana ............Practice ................MB
                            Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X