what exactly is a floaty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what exactly is a floaty

I have been trying to make some patterns lately and I keep seeing ref. to floatys, what exactly is a floaty and what is its function? TIA
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Daryl,

A "floaty" in a pattern is a piece of the pattern that would fall through/out if it was cut.

For example, draw a circle on a piece of paper. Now think of the paper as your overall fretwork project and you want to cut out that circle line, the inside of the circle would be a floaty, and fall out of the picture. So to correct that, re draw that circle as an arc that is 3/4 the circle. Now if you were to cut the line you just drew, it would be held in place by the rest of the background, in this case being the paper.

When it comes to pattern design, you don't want floaters.

Hopefully this make sense, I admit I haven't slept much and the phrasing may be a little off.

Take care
    Toni

Comment

ok Toni lets see if I understand this right as I am looking at the pattern it seems the whole left hand with the door thing is a potentail floaty because it has no joinings to the back ground? right? and apparently part of the garment back also so from what your saying they would just fall off the background completly
      Last edited by Daryl185; 08-09-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Daryl,

Yes that's correct. I am looking at the picture you posted in the other thread under pattern design. There are some parts on the back of her shirt that would fall out and on the other areas we talked about.

The door hanger has some.

Look at her shoulder. You have a black line/cut line and it doesn't complete the arc. This works to hold her arm in with the background along with the opening at the bottom of the portrait.

I've attached a quick note, not sure I have them all at a quick glance but hopefully it helps you find the floaters and work out the pattern.

Take care
        Toni
        Attached Files

Comment

If the portrait is to be mounted on a backing, I don't think "floaties" are always a bad thing. They can add a lot to the look of the project. If you save the cut out pieces you can reassemble the picture and get the floaties in the right spot.

EarlinJax

Comment

Toni thank you so very very much I totaly understand now, all need to do is add a few more breaks in the lines or remove some lines totally the one on her back thanks again Toni

Comment

I worked on it some more I removed the one line on the back fixed both eyes and added breaks in the door knob plaque, good think I have tons of Patience otherwise I would be bonkers heehehehe
              Last edited by Daryl185; 08-09-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

By George I think he's got it!

Great work Daryl!
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Tip for finding floaties

Here's a quick tip to check for floaties before printing your patterns. Regardless of the program you are using to make your pattern there will be a paint bucket tool (or something similar). Select this tool along with a fill color different than your pattern lines (I like using black lines and a red fill color) and click anywhere on the background. Any floaties left in the pattern will remain white allowing you to easily spot and fix them.

Keep scrolling!
                  Jim
                  DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Thanks for answering a questions I didn't know I needed to ask.

This will hopefully fix a few problems I've been having.
                    Kelly
                    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Glad to be able to help.

Look forward to seeing the portrait when it's all cut.

Take care
                      Toni

Comment

Kelly, are you working on patterns too? Portrait? Going to show us??

Take care
                        Toni

Comment

Actually, the polar bear I cut out last week was from a picture that Carl had sent me.

It had the words Polar Bear written under with a paw print inside the O but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it so that I could cut out the O and keep the paw print in the center. So instead, I just left the whole word out and only cut out the polar bear.

It's the little things that confuse me
                          Kelly
                          "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Buffalo

....It's the little things that confuse me
                            First I would like to say what a wonderful job you did on the polar bear.
                            It is a perfect case of less is more.

As for the little things, they always have a way of sorting themselves out.
                            It is the big things that get overwhelming

I do not remember how the paw print was in the picture but I have done a few wolf plaques in the past where I tilted my saw at 3 or 5 degrees and cut the paw print on the bevel. The paw print then dropped down slightly in the plaque and it looks like a real paw print in the snow.

I sure wish I could take credit for this idea but..... Oh well it looks really cool when it is done.

P.S. you could try that with Neal's idea
                            Last edited by CanadianScroller; 09-08-2006, 07:53 AM.
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

man...I thought a floaty was that stuff down at the bottom of my glass of water, which I refuse to drink btw.
                              Jeff Powell

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X