Woodburning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodburning Question

When I view some of the work shown in albums, I have wondered how some of the lines (for example skin creases) are made. I assume some of them are very fine cuts with a small blade, but are some of the markings made with wood burning?

Thanks, Dale

Dale, I have used a wood burner to do some of the fine lines in a picture if I think it will weaken the wood too much to cut it. I believe it adds to the picture also. I have just a cheap wood burner that I can place different tips onto. I always practice on a scrap to make sure I have the tip I want.
    Mick P-20
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick when you burn those fine lines into your wood do you burn right throught the pattern or do it freehand ? and when you do your finish how well does the burning show? TIA
      Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Ive done it a few times on mine freehand before finishing and it shows up pretty good .

Charlie,
        Charlie
        "Everything Happens for a Reason"
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Daryl,
          DON'T burn through the pattern!!
          If it is something you don't feel comfortable doing freehand, lightly pencil it in, or rub pencil lead all over the back of your pattern in that area and use it like graphite paper to transfer the lines (lightly) to the wood. Don't use carbon paper either (do you have to ask how I know??) 'cause it will leave a greasy residue on the wood that will just get nastier as you try to remove it.
          If you do a nice burn, it will show through most finishes just fine. Burning after finishing would release some nasty fumes you wouldn't like (don't ask!!)
          Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Iamdusty

When I view some of the work shown in albums, I have wondered how some of the lines (for example skin creases) are made. I assume some of them are very fine cuts with a small blade, but are some of the markings made with wood burning?

Thanks, Dale
            Hi Dale. I think your question, was how was the little lines creatied. like skin creases. well, it is called vaining. and what i do is. I drill the smallest hole i can at the begging or a v joint. and use a flat blade to cut the line. then i follow up with a spirale blade to try to widen the kerf, so as to try to hide the drilled hole. but sometimes , ok most the time, you just can't hide that dang old drilled hole. if you have a pin blade this would be shuch a big old hole to begin with , so you could do a woodburnig thing. not something i am good at, at all. on this picture, i just drilled a small hole. then inserted the smallest blade that fit the hole then cut away. it looks bad at the beggining. but after all is done. it looks great. your friend Evie
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks all for the response. Sandi, you sound like you have had some experiences that you will help me and others avoid. Thanks.
              Evie, I love that pattern with the horse and buggy and you have done such a nice job . Is that a lid on a box or ? (hinges) I love the backing too. Would you consider sharing that pattern or tell me where I can get it. I am a retired Family Doctor and that sure looks like it could be an old time M.D. going to make a house call . I'm probably not good enough yet, but I would love to try it before too long. Please either respond here or a PM
              Thanks, Dale

DW788

Comment

Sorry Sandy
                Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Iamdusty
                  Thanks all for the response. Sandi, you sound like you have had some experiences that you will help me and others avoid. Thanks.
                  Evie, I love that pattern with the horse and buggy and you have done such a nice job . Is that a lid on a box or ? (hinges) I love the backing too. Would you consider sharing that pattern or tell me where I can get it. I am a retired Family Doctor and that sure looks like it could be an old time M.D. going to make a house call . I'm probably not good enough yet, but I would love to try it before too long. Please either respond here or a PM
                  Thanks, Dale

DW788
                  Hi Dale. yes that is a doctor going to help someone. but in a omish way. I got this pattern from. the book. Scroll Saw Fretwork Patterns. buy Ptrick Spielman & Jams Reidle. page 26 and its called horse_and_carriage silhouette pattern. and no that was not a lid. i made some photo albums that year for are kids, for xmas. I would be glad to shar how i did it with you. thanks for the complement. your friend Evie

Comment

Hi I tryed to load this veining on my last visit but here goes again. this is also a pattern from the book. ScrollSaw Fretwork Patterns. just a close up of the veining. and how it dont' matter in the end result. your friend Evie
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is all done with veining. I havent tried woodburning yet, but it would be fun as well. Dale

EDIT Well, my picture didnt pop on here , but it was sposed to be the indian feather seen in my gallery photos.
                      edit again.... now the photo shows up! Lol
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by lucky788scroller; 08-20-2006, 09:53 PM.
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Lucky if ya don't mind my asking where did you get that pattern from
                        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

UGH!! I think from The Wooden Teddybear.. Im not positive, but I will go look and will post again if I find it was elsewhere. Dale

http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com...229&A=1&B=Home type in item number TBP728

There it is!!!
                          Last edited by lucky788scroller; 08-20-2006, 10:09 PM.
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale, now that is some grand veining. thanks for sharing that. great work might i add. your the king. for sure. really. Evie

Comment

First of all friend Evie, for the pattern info. and a big AMEN to what Evie said about your work Dale. Since that is a good example of "veining", I can see that I'd better do some reading and learn about that procedure. I sure don't have any idea where I should begin. I've got Patrick Spielman's Handbook, so hopefully it will be discussed there.
                              I plan to try a portrait tomorrow. The pattern is one that Robert aka Sawduster was kind enough to do for me.
                              Everyone in this "family" are so great to help one another, especially we beginners.

Dale M.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X