Clear All

• I'M BaaaacK

DSC02934.JPG

DSC02933.JPG

DSC02935.JPG

DSC02932.JPG

DSC02938.JPG

Hello Friends,
    It has been good to get back home and get back to my Nelson Lessons and also great to get back to read the threads.
    I have been sawing quite a lot the last four days and have included the work I've done since being home. Hope it doesn't bore you all. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    I really enjoy this new hobby and look forward to learning more by doing and by propheting from all your experience and knowledge.
    Also if any of you could enlighten me about the use of brads for drilling (size, how to use, and when to use), I would appreciate it.
    Happy Sawing!!
    Dale M.

DW 788

Welcome back Dale! It looks like you been busy!! I bet it feels good to be home and pursuing your new (and wonderful) hobby. All your projects look great by the way Keep em coming!
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Dale. those are great. welcome home. you did some great projects there.
      Evie

Comment

Glad your back in your workshop and making sawdust.
        Projects look great!
        Bill
        Delta P-20

Comment

Atta Boy Dale. You're coming along just great. Keep it up.
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Looks like you are moving right along, your cutting looks great. I think you are now ready for a John Nelson clock. John Nelson used the humming bird for our inlay class so remmember that pattern for future use.
            Why do you want to use brads as drills?
            There are charts available on the web that tell you the recommended drill size for each blade, or you could measure the blade at it's widest point and look it up on a drill chart. Put scrap wood behind your project when drilling and it will reduce the splintering on the exit hole.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words and welcome back. I am now using the painter's tape on the wood and that does work great. I am thinking I might try a portrait. Any guidlines on the thickness and type of wood?

Thanks, Dale

Comment

Hi Rolph and thanks for the response. The reason I asked about brads, is that I read on a pattern I received, that the "author" recommended using brads as bits for the real small holes. I hadn't heard that before, but presumed it was just my newbie status that accounted for that. I have some numbered drill bits (very small), but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some important "trick".

Thanks, Dale

Comment

APOLOGIES Rolf, for miss-spelling your name.
                  Dale

Comment

Hey Dale,
                    I have done a few portraits using 1/8" Baltic Birch with good results. I think most people use either 1/8 or 1/4" Plywood for their portraits. The majority use plywood, Baltic Birch is the most popular, others are Red Oak,Maple,Cherry ect... Sloans Woodshop is a good source to check out. I hope this helps.
                    Bill
                    Last edited by bronco; 08-20-2006, 12:07 AM.
                    Delta P-20

Comment

Thanks Bill,
                      I have some 1/4 inch Baltic Birch which I bought from a local cabinet maker, so I will try that.
                      I appreciate the info.

Dale

Comment

as for the drilling with a small brad, its basically for someone that doesnt have the luxuries of a wire sized drillbit. you can just chuck the lil brad in the drill and make a hole, the way the nail is manufactured leaves little burrs on the point that will do the cutting. Dont expect it to go as easily, or come out as nicely as a bit will do. Dale
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X