Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dw788 Help

Woe is me,
    I just received my "new" dw788, purchased on ebay. It is the type 1 and has not been used, but has been unpacked and assembled for ? time. It was not shipped in it's original box and was packed with the dewalt table. Some how, at some time, the top rocker arm assembly that the blade chuck and thumb screw attach to, were bent. Responsibility is being debated (ups, seller).
    First of all, I am feeling like I was unwise (maybe stupid would be better) to buy an item like this on line, but I did so I just need to do what I need to do.
    I have two questions hopefully you can help me with:
    1. Do you think it would be possible to carefully bend these parts back in a padded vise. I figure, I'm not out anything to try and if it doesn't work, get the parts ordered.
    2. The little air hose for the dust blowing also popped off. I am wondering if heating it with a hair dryer, might help me get it back on. It is pretty tight.

Thanks for any suggestions to help. But don't beat me up too bad for the way I bought it. I already am dissappointed to not be able to get to sawing right away.

Dale
    Last edited by Iamdusty; 08-01-2006, 10:04 AM.

Golly, Dale!
    What a bummer after all your planning and waiting.
    I do not have a DeWalt, and have never experienced the problems you are having, but I would expect that you can go ahead with reattaching the little hose with a bit of heat.
    Now, on the arm - I'm gonna take a guess that this would not be such an easy fix, nor would it be all that good. Scroll saws look pretty simple, but there is some engineering and design involved in their manufacture, and a "guess and by golly" fix probably wouldn't put things back the way they were intended.
    However, faced with the same dilemma, I'd probably give it a try - while waiting for the replacement parts. Just be sure to adequately protect yourself in case the whole arm breaks or something - no need to get seriously hurt before you even get to make some cool sawdust.
    Somebody else will have more authoritative advice for you here soon - in the meantime just keep reading these cool posts and dreaming - your friends here are all rooting for you to get your saw in tip-top shape as soon as possible.
    Sandy

Comment

Dale....you will want to be VERY VERY careful in attempting to bend that assembly back straight. It is made of cast aluminum and is super brittle. especialy where it has been "work hardened" from the initial bend. You might want to consider removing the arm and taking it to a local machine shop and let the pros give it a try. It might break anyway though. Sorry I can't be of more help.
      If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Dale, maybe this link will help if you are unable to straighten the thing out. I know nothing about this site.....I just located it trying to help out. http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b.../DW788_TYPE_1e

Comment

First of all Sandy and Neal, for your answers and advice.
          Now may I give you an update since my post of this morning:
          I decided to carefully try and bend the assembly back to where it should be. I put a new blade in the top chuck and then with the table off, could see that the lower assembly was approx 1/4 inch off. I placed a large crescent wrench snugly around the end of the bottom assembly right behind the chuck. Then with just manual torque, I bent it over until the lower chuck lined up with the upper. I can see no sign of any crack or other damage, although I realize the jury may still be out on this. After putting the table back on, I attached the new blade and put good tension on it. When I measured with a small steel engineer's square the blade was at exactly 90 degrees to the table. When I turned it on and ran it through all its speeds, it ran quiet and vibration free (relatively) except at top speed when there was a little more vibrating. The blade is not right in the center of the hole in the table, but it does clear the close side by at least 1/8 inch.
          Thanks for listening to my ramblings, but I thought this would be of some interest and needless to say, I am much more optimistic about this saw than I was yesterday. I'm going to start on John Nelson's 1st lesson tomorrow and practice some lines today.

Dale

DW 788

Comment

Thanks again Neal. That looks like a good source to check with if I have more trouble. I've got my fingers crossed.

Dale

Comment

Dale....you can center the blade laterally by adjusting the set screws in the top and bottom blade clamps. Sounds as if the big problem is solved!!! Happy it worked out well for you. You should get many years service from that saw...I have one and I love it!!

Comment

Let us know how its humming along! Dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks everyone. I cut some straight lines tonight just to get a chance to saw a little.
                  I still need any suggestions or tricks any of you have, so I can get the air hose re-attached. It sure is tight.
                  By the way I stayed on the line. I know that doesn't sound like much, but to me it was exciting.
                  Tomorrow Lesson 1 in John Nelson's book.

Dale

Comment

Dale have you tried putting a little lubricant on the hose? anything would work it doesn't have to be oil based.. windex, furniture polish even cooking oil
                    HTH
                    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Try holding it under running HOT water a while just before pressing it on ! Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale, the real hot water worked like a charm. With the blower working, I was able to complete the first lesson from the John Nelson book. I was able to stay on the lines pretty well, but I can see that it will take more practice to be able to rotate the work "just right". I can see what is meant by the admonition to look ahead of the blade more than right at it. I'm sure glad to be making some dust. Tomorrow I plan to do the second lesson, which will involve cutting out a kitty kat.
                        Thanks everyone for the advice.

The Other Dale

DW 788

Comment

Glad I could help!!! By the time I get back from the scrollsaw Trade show in Richland center this weekend, you will be gluing up a huge fretwork clock I bet!!! You are going about learning the techniques the right way. Keep it up! Dale
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Once you get that cat cut out I am sure there are hundreds of people here who would just love to see it.

It sounds like you have a master plan to develop your new hobby.
                            Keep up the great work.
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Other Dale ,
                              Man I almost cried when I read about your saw problems I have been real "covered up" this week and out of the loop, but late at work on Monday I was thinking " I wonder if Dale is making sawdust yet ? "
                              When I finally started catching up on posts, my heart just went out to ya .....my saw was late in arriving too and it totally took my focus off of everything until it arrived so I felt your pain there. Then to have things not quite right on top of everything else, ....man ! But you went right to it anyway, took the bull by the horns, asked for help and advice from this wonderful group and dove on in ...bully for you !! i'm tickled pink that you're cutting and hope you get half the joy from your saw and this group that I have gotten. You are sure starting out in the proper fashion...good job !
                              Congratulations my friend
                              ...~Robert~
                              DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X