Stand or sit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand or sit?

Hi, everyone. Got a question I think someone can give advice. STAND OR SIT? I have been standing, but I'm wondering if this could get pretty tiresome after a while. To you senior members, have you found that it is better to sit while scrolling? My husband says you have more control if standing. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Mary

I both set and stand. If I need leverage I stand, when tired I set.
    Doug
    Taking It Real Easy
    Doug

Doug's Wood Puzzles and Gallery

Comment

Mary, I like to sit. I have good control of my workpieces too. Another reason I sit is, I added a foot pedal, so I would not have to reach up & turn the saw on & off with my hand. I can keep both hands on the piece all the time. It is very difficult to use the foot pedal while standing though. Sometimes, if the work piece is large, it is imposible to turn the wood. Your body is in the way & you can't turn it. I use spiral blades most of the time, so I don't have to turn the wood too often. It will be your preference, when you try both ways, then you have to decide. Good Luck
      PERK

Comment

I sit all the time to scroll. I have better control of my work that way.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hi Mary, I'm like Mike I sit all time. I can't see my work standing.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I do both, stand and sit. My saw is quite high so even sitting I need a tall stool.
            I also have an adjustable footrest on my saw, Not that I adjust it too much.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I started out standing, then moved to a bar type stool. But either way my back was still killing me half the time. So i took a heavy TV stand and made it work as a saw stand so that now I can sit and saw. Definitely has made an improvement with the back pain.
              Kelly

Comment

I'm a sitter when I'm doing the nice cuts but I stand when I use the scroll saw to cut a piece from a sheet of plywood or Masonite.
                Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                Desert Woodcrafters
                Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I always sit to complete my work. I find that I have better control. It is easier on the back and I can see the pattern better.
                  Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

I sit most of the time as I have better control of the wood while sitting. But sometimes I stand for small quick cuts. Kind of funny really as I have a couple saws and one of my saws I do better standing while the other 2 saws I do better sitting, Not sure why that is, lol

Kevin
                    Kevin
                    www.KevsKrafts.com

Comment

I almost always sit as it's more comfortable and I can cut for a much longer period of time before needing to take a break. On the ocasions where there isn't enough room between me and the piece to swing it through a cut, I will stand (hunched over since my saw remains low) or use a spiral blade.
                      Steve

Visit My Gallery

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"
                      Isaac Asimov

Comment

I vary it, depending on what I'm cutting, and what body parts are hurting. Also, sometimes when I've been at it a while, it's just good to change position. It's really one of those things that's very individual, with no right or wrong way. I do find, however, that when I have the table at a steep angle, I stand to have more control over the workpiece.
                        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I sit when cutting. But make it a habit to get up and move around and stretch about every 1/2 hour or so. Need to keep the blood in my legs moving. Also it is easyer on my neck and back....

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                          Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                          One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

I have never tried sitting & scrolling, not sure I'd like to.
                            Maybe if I got a seat with the perfect height, I think that would be kinda difficult, and would further clutter up a garage already pressed for space.
                            Then again, I'm not a senior, and I'm quite used to standing and walking hours on end on my jobs anyhow.

I did notice that the angle to the saw needed adjusting, I thought about jacking up the rear of the saw as some folks do, but its bolted down to my bench ,,, So I thought, why not adjust my height ?
                            I built a little stand out of 2x6's and some MDF, that extra 7 inches was perfect, so now I am perched on my stand when I cut.

Comment

I always sit. Better control and don't get so tired.

-Bill
                              -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• robdperry
                                New from Port Angeles Washington
                                by robdperry
                                Using the Forum to make a decision on purchasing my first scroll saw instead of a drone.
                                Today, 01:52 PM
                              • garryatpa
                                Reply to Vintage scroll saw identification
                                by garryatpa
                                Just looking at The New Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman and found a picture of this saw on page 47. Make is unknown and photo was submitted by a Henry Aldinger. Is submitted as an early electric scroll saw.

Garry
                                Today, 01:40 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Clock hardware Kits.
                                by Rolf
                                A new member ralph123 left me a private message. Asking if I still provided kits for the Wooden gear clock in the Summer 2013 issue if SSWWC.
                                Ralph I sent you a private message.

Yes I do still make the kits.
                                Today, 08:49 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                by Rolf
                                I checked out that site and found a CNC/ SVG file for $1.99 plus $25 shipping! for a digital file NOPE....
                                Today, 08:38 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Phone call from son.
                                by will8989
                                Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                              Working...
                              X