Segmentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segmentation?

Will somebody please direct me to a site or explain how segmentation works?
    From what I have seen, it involves cutting out different pieces and glueing them together. I have seen some pretty impressive samples fom Charlie 1 and others but don't have an inkling on how it works. It may be something I want to try someday, if I'm talented enough. These portraits can get pretty stressful.

Thanks to all who care enough to help.

Mike
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Hello ,

Segmentation is where you cut from one piece or type of wood like with me I get an 8ft 1 by 12 and cut one whole pattern from that into pieces for one project and the intarsia is with different types of wood on the same project like walnut, maple, pine alltogether in one project
    intarsia itself is harder because your cutting from completely different pieces and have to sand them and fit them all together and segmentation they already fit in place .

hope that helps ,

Charlie

if you need anything else just pm me
    and thankyou for the compliment
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Great definitions Charlie.

I used to think segmentation was flat and intarsia was shaped but I soon found out that wasn't the case.
      Some shaped segmentation can look much like intarsia when it is finished in the right way.

Each aspect of scrolling has it's merits.

Check out the galleries under both headings and see the variety of talents we have on the site.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thank you Canadian Scroller

and your right they both have alot of shape and depth to them and if done right sometimes you cant really tell the difference unless you know what your looking at .

They do have some really good work with both segmentation and intarsia in the galleries

Charlie,
        Charlie
        "Everything Happens for a Reason"
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

HI Mike. I have not done intarsia or segmentation yet. but it is my understanding that. the piece is cut out of one piece of wood. then elivated in places to give debt.and felling the back side with glue,to hold some of the pieces up.. and stained to give more debt. Neal is the expert here. and you can find his work in SSW. the one book i have that just blue me away , and maid me wont to try this, is. Scroll Saw Art. buy Patrick Spielman &Kerry Shirts. Realistic Pictures in wood. If you go to the galleryies. and look up Neal or Moons projects , you will see some awsome pictuers of their work. I am sorry i don't know their real gallery album names but some one here can help with that. I personaly love the ram. and Neal . did his quilt tile out of it. Wow , and on a small 5"x5" tile. awsome , awsome , awsome. there is some talented folks here. and you will love looking throught the albums here. there is also some intarsia there. and my fretwork if you wont to go look.
          Evie

Comment

Ok it is also my understanding. that intasha. is cut from all one piece or as a expert. can cut all the pieces out of differant woods to create demtion.. the color and afect of the piece. also differant thicknesses. to create. a real demention of realality. the pieces are sanded, on the sides of each piece. to produse debt. and the effect that some thing is coming off the wall , while in fackt. it is flat on the back. awsome stuff. just go look in the galleries. I know confusing.. Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Linda In Phoenix
              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
              The bags seem easier on the surface.
              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
              Today, 03:24 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Today, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Today, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            Working...
            X