wood warping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood warping

the title says it all, I am having a problem with my wood pieces warping, the wood I am using is poplar which I get from Home Depot, I have tried stacking heavy stuff on the wood in an attempt to try and take it out but to no avail,
    what can I do to stop the warping or straighten the wood TIA
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Where is the wood being stored, and is it warping before or after cutting? If it is after, what finish are you using? These answers may help us help you.

Cheers,
    Draken

Comment

good point I should have included that the wood is stored is stored upright in my garage slash wood shop no A/C and looks like its warped prior to cutting and my finishes are mostly MinWax stains HTH

Comment

Home Depot, aka Big orange retail giant (BORG), is a home improvement store. It is not a lumber yard. It is not a hardware store.

there are a lot of things in the process of getting lumber ready for use that can go wrong. Resolving and preventing such cost time and money. the BORG and it's clones don't want to pay for such.

BORG poplar and Oak may be Klein dried, but that don't mean it is properly Klein dried. It may not be fully dried, it may be case hardened, or it may be too quickly dried.

I find there are only two points in favor of using BORG lumber: cheap and open on Sundays. That is it.

I have even stopped using their hardwood plywood as being junk.

Phil

Comment

"Unwarping" wood

I seem to recall an advertisement once for a product you applied to the wood and somehow it would take the warp out. Anyone else remember it or have any experience with something like that?

Most things that sound too good to be true aren't.

Earl

Comment

I believe it was called Wood-Loc . Its made by Cash Coatings Co. in Madison WI. I cant find much info on it online, but their toll-free is 1-888-729-1591 Evie has used the stuff, and shes a firm believer in it, I'm sure she will have much to say about the product. Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Daryl my wood always warps. I always buy the cheap stuff. and i find standing it up layered with lots of other heavy wood helps. i have had some for months that didn't warp. then when i mill it. big bow, in just alittle while.
              I do use the wood-lock others use mineral spirets. haven't tryed that yet. but i just used some wood-lok today.. its not cheap, but nighter is wood. so here is the address if you wont to give it a try. Cash, Coatings, 4430 Robertson Rd. Madison, WI 53714 and the email [email protected]
              sorry don't have a web sight. this works best on thinner woods though. i have used it on some 3/4 but it didn't work as well. and have had some luck on 1/2. but i normally use 1/4 and less. you can evern soak you wood in this and bend it. an it will stay. hope this helps Evie ps a gallon last along time, i have done many projects with it.

Comment

ok great info Evie now my next question I just happen to have gallons of mineral spirits handy and I'd like to give that a try first and see what happens, so do I just soak the whole project or apply the spirits to the outside of the warp? and place heavy stuff on it till the spirits evap? TIA

Comment

[quote=Daryl185]ok great info Evie now my next question I just happen to have gallons of mineral spirits handy and I'd like to give that a try first and see what happens, so do I just soak the whole project or apply the spirits to the outside of the warp? and place heavy stuff on it till the spirits evap? TIA[/quote
                  Daryl. when i use the wood-loc i bush it on, but you can soak it in a pan. or even poor it on and rub it around with your hands. then i put some even spacders on the underneath, and at least 3 places across the wood then on top too. as even as posibale with the bottom spacers, don't wont to make a new bow. LOL> then i put heavy stuff all over it. i even take some pieces of other old plywood and set it ontop of the top spacers. so i can load it down with heavy things. i have even had to brush more on when i make a mistack with how i tried to flaten it.
                  as minirale spirits , like I said, i haven't tryed that, but i have heard folks soak their wood in it. the one thing you might wont to watch for , is minirale spirits is flamabale so have good ventalation. wood loc in very safe. It is Non-flammable, and No solvent fumes, and No hasardous shipping, and Non - combustible and Low evaporation rate. mine kinda jealed over the winter. but i still use it, and it works fine. good luck
                  Evie

Comment

ok Evie thanks for the great info I will try it out tonight

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                      Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                      Today, 12:25 AM
                    • keystonecop
                      Bread and Cheese..
                      by keystonecop
                      ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                      Today, 12:08 AM
                    • keystonecop
                      Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                      by keystonecop
                      This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                      Today, 12:01 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Turning to something new
                      by jim_mex
                      Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                      Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Turning to something new
                      by will8989
                      That is beautiful. Your design?
                      Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                    Working...
                    X