Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

I found this site yesterday, boy what a mistake that was! I have a home shop for making furniture and other odds and ends; you know the basics, routers, table saw, planer, band saw. etc, etc. But I never had a use for a scroll saw. ANYWAY, I was looking for a pattern for an old 1700's candle lamp and google had a link to here for free patterns. Not knowing what trouble I was in for; I blindly jumped in with both feet.

This most horrible of links took me directly to the user area for the display of craftsmanship that lowly mortals such as I could never hope to obtain. After an hour or so (of company time), the depression was such that I felt the need to mangle my own wood and create more sawdust for my wife's flower bed.

The bipolar need to prove to myself that only the elite could achieve such beautifully crafted artifacts I stopped at the local home depot to purchase my first scroll saw.

Ah heck folks – all the dry humor aside this is what I ended up doing last night. It took 2 ½ hours to cut this out.

Thank all of you for giving me the courage to try this. I LOVE IT! I hope to do much more in the next few weeks.
    Bill
    Gun control is using both hands.

Welcome

Bill-
    Welcome, and don't be shy.

Looks good. Real nice for your first try.

You will get the advice you ask for and some you won't.

What kind of saw did you get?

Now that you have one we will expect to see a lot of cuttings. Now, get busy!

By your userid looks like you use UNIX. So do I, I use a SunBlade150. I like UNIX better than DOS. And VI is the only way to edit a text file.

-Bill
    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

I got the cheapest saw I could which was a Ryobi $99 special from Home Depot. I also picked up a bunch of blades all different types and sizes. Walked out at $129 w/tax.

I should have started with something larger, I know that now... The actual image (hat area) is only about 4" wide and the board is white pine at 3/8" thick. The next one will be larger with thinner wood.

BTW, the wife freaked out, she had no idea what I was doing in the garage. I left the door mostly down so she couldn’t tell I wasn’t making something large. When I brought it in the house, she just about lost it. That made it all worth it!

As far a my day job/life, yep. I am a Admin from the old days. I am a Programmer / Admin / Router person and I only use VI, long enough to configure and port pico or joe. I haven’t liked VI since the 80's. I type way to fast for the limited (back then) controls available. Now a days vi isn’t so bad, I just have switched to a different editor and feel no need to go back. Besides everything from IRIX to BSD support it and it only takes a minute or two to compile. For the funny of it. I actually keep a copy of the code on my pocket USB drive! I guess I turned into a Anti-vi snob.. There are some people out there that still use ed!!! Now that is brutal!
      Bill

Comment

howdy, welcome and nice job......
        Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
        "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the group.

My application's backend and DB runs on multiple UNIX servers, and I have to go and look at it's health everyday (old app version & old servers), I have to "top" and "glance" and "more $|grep" into files and logs.

And although I love the stability that UNIX brings to a system, nothing beats a graphic and mouse click (Windows or Apple) user interface in my mind for ease of use.

And Notepad is so much easier than Vi or Ed or Sed or Gawk to edit text.

And that is why at the end of the day I love to make sawdust, takes my mind so much away from all that... That I almost don't mind going back to it the next day

Hope you enjoy it here, there are some nice people and we are willing to discuss all sorts of stuff.

Enjoy your saw, but get some good blades, they do make a huge difference in the quality of your cuts.

Regards,
          Marcel

Esc->:wq
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Welcome aboard. The kid turned out great! Congrats. Dale
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome to the group
              Great cutting job

Charlie
              Charlie
              "Everything Happens for a Reason"
              Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Nice portrait Bill. As you can tell from my user name, I'm new at this too. I started out with a few simple designs and then bought a different saw with variable speed and less vibration and thus, my owl was hatched. You can see it under the "my first real challenge" post. This scrolling is very addicting and the members here are first rate. They are very encouraging and helpful. I think this all just adds to the experience.

By the way, did you make your own pattern for this baby or what was your technique. I have yet to attempt a portrait.

Keep up the good work and enjoy.

Mike
                Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Hello,
                  Yes that is my son from about a year ago. Besides being a geek I am also a photographer thus I work with photoshop ALOT..

Take a photo and adjust your contrast and brightness. Crop to get just what you need and nothing more. Recheck your contrast then downsize it so the max res in one direction is around 800 to 900 pixels. Then do unsharp mask. Then depending on the photo you may have to ditch a color or 2 then run your stamp filter. Adjust to your liking. I've done this many times for people wanting tattoos and it works great for that so I thought it should work for scrolling as well. As with tattoos I believe it best to crop the photo while its still large and then downsize it to the lower res. Get rid of all the elements you don’t need before you strip away pixels.

If you don’t have photoshop send me a photo and Ill see if I cant get something useful out of it.
                  Bill

Comment

Hi Bill and wellcome to the group. Wow i can see why your wife lost it. that is great. not only did you do a good cutting but to put the pattern that you made to use is pretty cool too. someday i will learn how to do that. lol. you say you was looking for a late 1700 pattern of a candale holder. did i get that right. well here is a link to some great patterns. if it is allowed. first he has lots of great patterns. and a great web sight to learn from. http://www.scrollsaws.com and another is http://www.peculearfretworks.com also and this one will send you a free cataloge . www.wildwooddesigns.com there is so many more. you can also get free patterns from lots of sorces. also this is one that has a great web sight to learn from too. and he is a real good man to know. good friend. and willing to help with blade impho. Mike at Flying Dutchman http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm hope this will get you started in the right derection. i know it did me. there is lots more. your new friend Evie

Comment

I think the main problem for me right now is wood.
                      All my stock is for large projects and I really don’t want to plane down high dollar wood to learn with. I understand a lot of people use BB but I am having trouble tracking it down locally with a acceptable price tag. Any suggestions?
                      Bill

Comment

I usually just get regular pine for mine and the bb you can usually order from online ,pm me and ill send ya a few sites you can get it from

the pine works great for what I do with segmentation but the bb works better for the finer scrolling

Charlie,

http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/3816
                        Charlie
                        "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                        Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Hi Bill got ya there. me too. dallars are the main consern when starting out. do you have a home depot in your area. they have some smaller cuts of bb plywood there. and also some smaller oak boards. i get a 4x8 sheet of good oak plywood from rockler here in my area. its only about $19.00 a sheet. that will cut alot of projects.just make sure the filler is good, without voids and the venir is thick. if you wont to order online here is rockler. www.rockler.com or another great sight is sloan's woodshop they will make up anything you wont. you can call 1-888-615-9663 or go online to www.sloanswoodshop.com they also sell patterns. i wouldn't advise reagular plywood. it is way to hard to cut. and the glue gums up everything. not to mention it breacks all over the place. like Charlie says. just some good old pine is good to practice on. but try to stay clear of the nots. it has alot of dust with it. and can discouradg you when it breaks. but thats what glue is for. LOL. one of the things i did was. just go for it. and do what you can do with what you have. sometimes practise is ok , but i did that for awhile. and said poop on that. and got some good wood and a nice pattern. and went for it. i was more saticefied in the end result. and made something i was proud of. here is some pictuers of some of my work, when i stoped practicing and went for it. your friend Evie

Comment

well drats that didn't work trying again most of these are done with oak plywood. your friend Evie sorry something is rough but tried.

Comment

trying again sorry still haveing probleams here. any way Bill hope you do what you wont to do . your friend Evie

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X