Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gone to the birds

howdy

still playing before i try the one marcel sent.......

first photo, dont know why i even tried to cut out all the pieces, just cause.
    I may still cut out a couple more pieces. This has potential if i can figure out what to do next....lol

2 & 3
    Its the whole bird cut out, then burned in detail as well as the fret lines, I think it looks good raised up a little. Think ill try this one again, kinda like it. Now if i can only figure out how to draw lines without burning holes.
    I first tried cutting the detail lines with a dermel, but you would have thought i was sitting on jello....not the smoothest cuts.

some extra, these didnt come out as good as i hoped,mabey if i paint the project. I used 3 different woods, thinking i should have used more.
    Not sure how to get more details in.

On all i used #2 blade to cut bird segments, then #5 to cut state outline.

all and all it was a fun afternoon, biggest problem was getting blade to stay in. Have delta 350, sometimes no matter how i set it, the blade worked loose, other times it sets just right the first time.

as usual comments welcome .....thanks ....pete
    Attached Files
    Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
    "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Hi Pete,

I see you have been practicing

I also like the one where the bird sits proud.

Now that you have put that quarter in the picture, I'm not so sure I did you a favor when I did that pattern.

I'm not sure I could cut it myself that size to be honest. You will definitely need a blade of about 2/0 if you decide to do it.

Your idea of using different type of woods to do it isn't bad either: it's called intarsia. You can use different type of wood for the different colours, and change the grain direction for effect. Again you're going to have to cut some small pieces.

Whatever method you decide to use, I'm sure the result will be nice just because of all the effort you are putting into this. And you are learning something new every step of the way.

I'm glad you are sharing your progress with us.

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I agree with Marcel,
      I like the one with the bird sittin out, I also like the idea of the woodburning you are doing. Keep us posted and I am enjoying the progress pictures,good job so far.
      Bill
      Delta P-20

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
        Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
        by will8989
        Carole, only you would cut sprinkles on a scrollsaw. I would probably use rice and stain it. I just gave up replacing my insert. Its worn, but works for what I need. I do sand it to make sure there are no burrs sticking up to scratch the wood. I will be trying the new contact paper when mine runs...
        Yesterday, 08:16 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Shawl pins
        by will8989
        Thick hair would need a larger opening, thinner hair would require a smaller opening to stay in place. The one being shown in the utube would probably work for thicker hair. They look way better than a pencil or dowel! That elephant sure is cute in her hair!.
        Yesterday, 08:09 PM
      • Rolf
        New Toy!
        by Rolf
        A family friends father passed away and he was an avid bird carver. So my nephew is helping the family sell some of his tools. I bought this air cleaner and will b uy most of his carving knives and burrs. And no that is not my workshop! Not even close. ...
        Yesterday, 04:47 PM
      • Rolf
        Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
        by Rolf
        I just did a quick job on my table. Charles Hand has noticed that the adhesive on the new rolls of Contact brand shelf paper leaves a residue. He has changed to The duck brand. I just bought a roll and covered my table with it. It is a tough slick surface. It will be interesting to see how it holds...
        Yesterday, 04:44 PM
      • axor
        Reply to Shawl pins
        by axor

Yes, they can be used for hair. If they are made a little larger than the original, the shawl pins will work great in the hair!...
        Yesterday, 03:21 PM
      Working...
      X