Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was going to cut this but......

howdy all

Here's what happened, i came accross the quilt thread and said "that's neat wonder if i can come up with something simple"

I came up with the massachuettes state outline and our state bird, the chickadee, i said
    "perfect, ill make a stencil and cut it out and send it in"

Never entered my mind i didnt know how to make a stencil out of a line drawing.......

after erasing a bunch of lines it looked like a bunch of lines, and of course i couldnt figure out how to erase lines and cut out pieces.......back to the drawing board with another eraser.

just thought id share this senior moment..............
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pete00; 06-22-2006, 10:26 AM.
    Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
    "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Hey Pete,

That's a nice idea.

Since the piece is to be on a backer board, you could scroll the state as one piece, the islands separate, and scroll the chickadee inside the state.

Then you'd only have to worry about the bird not falling apart

Or make the bird an intarsia project and glue it on top of the state?

Or ask someone to make a pattern from the bird, for you. I'm sure someone will gladly help out if you have problems.

So many solutions available to you: Now you have no excuse not to make that tile

Regards,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

ok Marcel you gave me a couple ideas...

First pic i cut out state and bird, looks so so.
      I like it better when i put bird back in (second pic)

Now i need to figure out what to do with the bird.
      I could try burning in the lines,
      try to cut a few colors to make an intarsia project
      or paint the bird. I think the bird need to be raised up a little.

Lets see out of all the choices which do i actually know how to do ?
      none of them .... perfect !!!!

ill sleep on it and the answer will magically appear..........
      Attached Files
      Pete Ripaldi

Comment

Hi Pete,

I've played with your drawing a little to give you a push in the right direction, IF this is the way you want to go.

You'll need to finesse it: I didn't want to do it all for you , just give you an idea of what you should look for when making your pattern. Where to cut the lines to make it aesthetically pleasing, and so that you have solid bridges so no part of the bird fall off.

As I said this is in no way "The only way", I'm not a pattern maker by any means, I just had some fun making a draft to give you an idea.

I might be able to do a better job if you can provide a "flat" image of the bird, instead of an angled one like this one.
        If you are interrested let me know and I'll send me a PM with my email so that you can send me a better quality image to work with. I'd be happy to help if you want it.

Regards,
        Marcel
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

i like the second one!
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I agree with Dale the 2nd one looks good.
            Bill
            Delta P-20

Comment

Originally posted by bronco
              I agree with Dale the 2nd one looks good.
              Bill

Hmm....the second drawing that marcel did or my second picture..lol

Marcel, thanks for the offer, i like what you did. If you have the time it would be great to see how you do it and compare it to the original.

Ill try to send you an email with a cleaner copy.

Going to try and see if i can cut out the bird in some different color wood.

thanks ....pete
              Pete Ripaldi

Comment

Hey Pete,
                Have you thought about burning the details into the bird? That might look nice.
                Kevin
                Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

If you are looking for a Chickadee pattern you may want to contact Toni Burghout. She has an awesome pattern well suited for your project.
                  You can see a picture of it in the gallery. It is called Got Seed.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by Jediscroller
                    Hey Pete,
                    Have you thought about burning the details into the bird? That might look nice.
                    Keven

yea i may try that, im hoping this is "small and easy" enough to try a few new things. Ignorance is bliss.....

Last time i said something like that was
                    "sure ill go out and just have a coffee with her what can happen"
                    over the years i found out ....(she's gonna know i said that)

Carl
                    I took a look at what you did, very nice,
                    but dont think i can tackle that yet, but i will, i have some tree limbs waiting for something like this.

thanks all................pete
                    Pete Ripaldi

Comment

Originally posted by pete00
                      Carl
                      I took a look at what you did, very nice,
                      but dont think i can tackle that yet, but i will, i have some tree limbs waiting for something like this.

....pete
                      I would love to take credit for it but Toni did that not me.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Different chickadee

Hi Pete,

Got your email, but that was the one I first modified. Not much more I could do about it.

So, I decided to give a try to making another one that you could (not necessarely want to) use

Hope it may be of use to you. I enjoyed doing it, It gave me a chance to try out my tablet some.

Regards,
                        Marcel
                        Attached Files

Comment

The talent on this board never ceases to amaze me.
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Marcel that looks great! I've seen mention made several times about using a tablet here and else where, I think Jeff Zaffino uses one also. Can you tell me more about this?
                            Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Marcel

not sure what to say, that's great, actually beter than great...thanks.

you realize i HAVE to try and use that now ....dont you .....

Dear Diary
                              been scrolling for a few days now, and Marcel gives me a pattern that a laser would have a hard time with......but
                              being an old marine no problem, first a cruse with Capt Morgan.

where to begin.....here....no here.....wait over there......
                              mabey here......no.....that's the spot....what about over there.....
                              ahh.........perfect!!
                              Pete Ripaldi

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X