My 1st. project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1st. project.

Here is my first attempt with some scrap 3/4" pine. It's going to take practice and a sturdier work bench.

I placed the saw on a desk sitting on carpet. Everything vibrated off the desk. Not only that but my wife says I need to move to the basement. She doesn't like the noise or sawdust. Unfortunately my Skil did not come with the quick change blade adapter. It's a real pain to go from hole to hole by loosening the allen screw and pulling out the blade and feeding it thru the tiny hole and then reattaching. I guess you get what you pay for. It will be awhile before I can convince my wife of the need for a $400 machine. Maybe after I amke her enough cute presents she will weaken. In the meantime, I'll struggle along.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 06-16-2006, 10:07 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Welcome to the group and very nice job with your first scrolling
    what kind of a setup do you have ? how long did it take you to do that ?
    which by the way looks very nice Im still learning everyday especially with the help of these good folks ,they are the best :-)
    practice practice and more practice :-)

believe me I know how it goes without the quick change setup lol a royal pain and yup you definetly get what you pay for I know that first hand as im sure alot of others do lol
    give her time she will eventually lol

Charlie,
    Last edited by Charlie_1; 06-16-2006, 10:09 PM.
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Charlie. I just purchased a 16" Skil 3333 for $50 from someone selling out some slightly used power tools online. It does accept plain end blades but it's a pain to change them. The manual shows a quick change adapter for plain end but I think it may be an accessory, which I can't seem to find. It works OK but just demands a little more patience.

This project probably took me a couple hours. I didn't work steady because a friend and I are in the middle of making a few adirondack chairs - never again. Scrolling is much more relaxing and satisfying.
      Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM.
      Mike

Comment

Well, for a first project, I will say that flamingo didnt turn out to well. It almost looks more like a hummingbird, and a pretty darned nice one at that! I will admit it is much nicer then my first projects, and despite all the headaches you had with blade changing, you stuck it out and it looks pretty nice. I would definatly say you will do great with scrolling. Your idea on how to convince SWMBO that you need a better saw by making her lots of goodies is a great one! It also wouldnt hurt to mention that a better saw will vibrate less, and be much quieter. Dont tell her though, but a new saw will make more sawdust, because you will never want to stop cutting, let her learn that later on. Keep up the great work, your well on your way! Dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hey Lucky,

FLAMINGO? I assume you are kidding. Thanks much for the compliments. They are hard to come by these days.
          Mike

Comment

lightbulb in head lit up!

Yes, it is true, every once in a great while I get an idea bouncing around within my thick skull. I'll tip my head and let it run out of my ear, and drip on the keys, and you decide if its worth trying............................................ ..Get yourself an allen wrench, and cut it off so its about 2 inches long or so, removing the L part. With epoxy resin, glue it inside the lid of a 20 ounce soda bottle, or 2 liter bottle lid. After its set good, try gluing it into the hex inside that troublesome setscrew, in a sense making it almost like a thumbscrew.
            Ok, I hope that made a little sense. If you can read my brainspew,let me know..Do you think that would work? Would it help some? Dale

edit: Yes, of course I was kidding about the flamingo, ANYONE can tell a good rooster when they see one sir!!!!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

well at least your not talking ducks now Dale lol
              dont worry about Dale he doesnt bite much
              it is a pain to change them ,cause I have the same problem lol right now im doing a bunch of segmentation to take my mind off of it lol plus only using pinned blades lol good idea dale
              great work :-)

Charlie,
              Charlie
              "Everything Happens for a Reason"
              Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

Hi Newbie,
                Welcome to our friendly family! That is indeed a fine bird, but I'm surprised that lucky didn't recognize that it was a mallard! Perhaps we should get him some glasses.
                Seriously, that is some fine job, and pine is not all that easy - it keeps wanting to lead your saw down the grain line rather than the pattern line.
                Those blade changes are a total pain. My first 2 s saws had them, and I'm finally basking in the ease of relatively tool-less blade changes - what a joy it is!
                You will want to fasten your saw down to something - either clamp or bolt it to a workbench or a strong table, or to a board that can be atteched by clamps or some other way to a heavy bench or table. You will have an even better time scrolling when you are not chasing your saw at the same time.
                I'd say you have a great future if you're doing this well on your first project.
                Please stay in touch and let us know of your progress.
                Sandy

Comment

Thanks alot Sandy. What saw do you use now that doesn't amount to a pain the butt to change blades?
                  Mike

Comment

Scrollsaw Newbie,
                    Your post so reminded me of my first saw. I set it up in our dinning room which is at the back of the house. The saw bounced around so much, I spent more time chasing the saw then cutting. My hubby went out and bought earplugs he found it so noisy. I couldn't put my saw in the basement, cause the ceiling is so low nobody can walk around down there without smashing their head on the rafters, (NOTE: I'm only 5ft. tall). So he built me a tiny little shop in the backyard.

Nice attempt at your first project, I was so embarrassed by my first project, I hid it and it's still hidden.

Keep practising and tell wifey you'll clean up the mess. You'll become so addicted to scrolling, it won't be long before you find away to buy a better saw.
                    Marsha
                    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

hodwy and welcome

mighty fine looking , nice job.

a couple months ago a google search found a new 16" delta 350 for 90.00
                      of course i didnt get it then, when i finally got around to getting it it was more, it has a quick change blade set up.

somewhere in this forum there is a question/ poll about what type of saw people reccomend. YOu may not need to spend 400.

which will make SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) happy..

pete
                      Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
                      "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

Mike,
                        I have an RBI Hawk, but you needn't go to that much $$$ now to get toolless blade change. Check your PM.
                        Sandy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                          Today, 12:59 AM
                        • will8989
                          Sundays market
                          by will8989
                          When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                          Today, 12:46 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by will8989
                          I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                          Today, 12:27 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by jim_mex
                          Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                          Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                        • KarlB
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by KarlB
                          Very well done!

Karl
                          Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                        Working...
                        X