First Project: Can I fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project: Can I fix this?

So today I sat down, and I started cutting out my first project. I tried to make a coaster. But when I put the insert into the other piece, the light lines were much more noticeable than I thought. How does everyone else get around this? Will the wood swell up and fill out if I stain it?

I have been trying to upload some files, but I can't seem to figure it out, everytime I hit upload, it tells me page cannot be displayed. If you don't mind, here is a link to them instead...

http://stu.westga.edu/~dhunter1/

Thanks
    -Dan

Great job Dan, Good questions too.

One way of making the pieces fit is to cut them both out at the same time. One on top of the other.
    This is called stack cutting.
    The gap that is left when you do that is the width of the blade.
    You can also get around this by tilting the table of the saw when you cut.

Click on the link to see a picture of what I mean.
    Something you can do to the project you have is to mix sawdust with the wood finish you intend to use. This makes a wood filler that blends in with the rest of the project.
    If you mix sawdust with glue you get definite glue lines.
    I use waterbased poly when I finish my projects. The sawdust blends right in.

Keep up the great work and keep asking questions.

Good Luck Carl
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Thanks for the tips, but now I'm going to have to ask questions about them.

When you do stack cutting, how do you get the blade on the inside of the board without leaving a drill hole, or do you just cut into the board and then use the sawdust finishing to cover it up?

When mixing sawdust with the wood finish, do you glue the the two parts together first? How does the sawdust stay in the cracks, does the poly bond them? And last, but not least, how much sawdust do you mix with your finish?

Thanks for the help!

-Dan

Comment

Hi Dan

Unfortunately, there's no way to make these cuts without drilling a small pilot hole first. Make sure you drill it at the same angle as the cut you're going to make! It's easier to hide the hole if you make it somewhere that the pattern you're using requires a tight turn. And don't forget - the direction in which you cut when making these relief cuts is vital, otherwise you could end up with part of the project raised and the other part recessed.

I'd suggest you do a few experiments before you start working on a serious project to find out how much a particular blade set at a particular angle with a particular thickness of wood will raise the inset. With three variables, it's worth testing on some scrap, or you'll end up with an inset that will be so proud of the surface (or even below the surface) that it'll take ages to sand it level.

Don't worry about the sand and glue - with this technique, you probably won't need it.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Fix It ?

I'm Glad I Saw This Thread, Great Advice Guys !!! Rain Man

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X