help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me

How do you get the blade in while the wood is in the way? PLEASE HELP!
    I just got it two days ago and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Faith, did you drill a hole to put the blade through?
    and, check your Private messages
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Welcome Faith. So you just got your new saw. how fun. like Dale said. you do need to drill some holes in your wood first. to put the blade through. do you have derictions on anything?? maybe you just wont to see what the saw can do. well , first remove the wood from your tabale top. ok. follow the directions.(hopefully you have it all put together. and pluged in)follow diritions, on how to put the blade in. the bummer is you have to keep going back to the derictions on how to connect them. they might tell you how to tention the blade too. hopefully. then put a piece of wood on the tabale top.( thats the little flat thing , looking like a alumiuminom flat thing.. )in front. not behind the blade. and try cutting a line. did they tell you how to put the blade in. the teeth should point down. towards the floor. and they should face you. if you are setting in front of the saw. then sweetie. just start cutting. you don't have to worry about cutting your self. as long as you hands are not infront of the teeth. just make a cut or two. you don't have to fallow anything. just cut. see if you can back up. into the cut. ok now go for it. it gets easyer. I have been there. buy your self a book or two . on how toos and what nots. I love the spielmon books my self. they got me started. and they will teach you how to use your saw. we all started there. your friend Evie

Comment

Help

I did drill the hole in the wood. I can't get the blade in the bottom slot while the wood is in the way.

Comment

Faith

Pratice Inserting The Blade A Few Times Without The Wood. It's A Seek And Find Kind Of Thing With Your Fingers At First. It Wiil Feel Awkard At First But It Dosent Take Long To Get The Hang Of It. Just Keep Trying, Once You Get It You Are Going To Love Scrolling !!! Rain Man

Comment

I got so angry

I got so angry I just wanted to kick the saw but after my childish temper tantrim was over and my husband stoped laughing (because of the piece of wood flying by his head he stoped) I finally got a handle on how to get the blade on with the wood there. Mine hooks at the bottom and then at the top. but I got it Now my saw takes pinned blades and the pattern I want to do has little cuts that that are smaller than my blade ends what do I do?

Comment

Hi Faith

Don't kick the saw ! They've been known to fight back and break toes.

As you're no doubt aware, there are two types of blades available for scrollsaws - those with pins and those without. Most of us tend to use blades which don't have the pins because it means we don't have to drill large holes for piercing work - it sounds as if the pattern you're trying to use is designed for these flat blades.

What sort of saw do you have? It may be possible to fit an adapter which will convert your saw to take flat blades; you can buy them online from Frank Pozsgai.

Alternatively, I've seen it suggested that you can take a flat blade, drill holes in the top and bottom, and then insert safety pins to secure the blade in place. I must say that I've never tried this myself and since my blades rarely last longer than half an hour, I'd be unwilling to experiment.

Gill (who's feeling light-headed after writing something that's actually related to scrolling for once)
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                ...Alternatively, I've seen it suggested that you can take a flat blade, drill holes in the top and bottom, and then insert safety pins to secure the blade in place. I must say that I've never tried this myself and since my blades rarely last longer than half an hour, I'd be unwilling to experiment.

Gill (who's feeling light-headed after writing something that's actually related to scrolling for once)
                If you take a pair of pliers you can pull the pin from the top if the blade. Leave the bottom pin attached.
                Put a safety pin in the hole in the top of the blade after you have threaded the blade through the wood.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I hope youve got it figured out, and are out there making all sorts of sawdust! Save your first cutting , put it away for 1 year, then pull it out as a comparison piece. Take your time, and have fun, and please, dont kick the saw! And, on behalf of your husband..... only use softwoods if your going to be throwing the pieces!!!! Welcome to scrolling! Dale
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                    by jim_mex
                    Betty - Norma is 5ft 1", her sister who lives next door and often eats with us is 5ft 3". Their father who is recovering from recent knee surgery and staying with us at the moment is also about 5ft 3". I'm almost 5ft 11". You see my dilema!

As to high cupboards. Making...
                    Today, 09:44 AM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to Turning to something new
                    by jim_mex
                    Thanks Tony for the safety advice. Being one eyed these days I am definitely going to be taking extra care to wear suitable face protection. As to the safety videos, yes, I've already checked out several and pulled up a lot of very useful information. Whilst I've never turned wood before as a practising...
                    Today, 08:39 AM
                  • tgiro01
                    Reply to Turning to something new
                    by tgiro01
                    Betty - yes my design. I'm editing the video I made while making the feature ring.

Jim - I know I'm preaching to a member of the choir, but, please watch some of the Youtube videos on wood turning safety. There's a dozen or so of them out there. There are three words you'll hear a lot --...
                    Today, 08:12 AM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                    Today, 12:25 AM
                  • keystonecop
                    Bread and Cheese..
                    by keystonecop
                    ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                    Today, 12:08 AM
                  Working...
                  X