Scroll Table Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Table Cleaning

I just purchased my first scroll saw although I have been familiar with wood working for years. My question is how do others keep your scroll table from rusting - or does it even rust? I purchased a Porter Cable saw and it only gives tips on cleaning with mild soap and water.

Thanks in advance,

Lee.

Welcome to the forum Lee.

For keeping the table from rusting just give it a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax about once a month and you should be fine. If you use the saw all the time then you may need to reapply more often but you will feel it when it needs another coat.
    Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

I believe the new PC saw has an aluminum table, so rusting should not be a problem. HOWEVER, the wax is still a good idea to keep it slick and make the wood turn easier.
      Johnson's does have any silicones in it to transfer to the wood and affect finishing.
      Jim
      When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
      Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Great advice. Keep posting and share some of your work.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I use a product called top coat, it cleans and protects my table tops. I bought a new table saw and the fence had a little drag so I sprayed some on the track, it now goes from 0 to sixty in .007 seconds
          "The Scrollin Skeeter"

"There's nothin like the smell of fretwork in the morning"

Comment

I personally don't believe the table needs rust protection. I use a wax only when the table gets dirty, and that doesn't happen very often. With the very fine cutting I do for puzzles, I don't want a real slippery table. I want a little resistance to be in control.

Have phun with your saw..... Carter

Comment

I have some rust marks on my DeWalt 788 where the table is scratched. Johnson's Paste Floor Wax (cheap at Winn Dixie) takes care of it. Also, since my saw is in the garage in high temps and humidity I will put on a coat of wax if the saw is left unused for a while and not wipe it off. Then when ready to use, apply a little more, it softens up the old and shine her up! Ready to go and very slick.

Comment

I have for years covered my table with formica and attached with double sided tape. I don't have to worry about rust or any table marks getting on my work. I know others who do the same thing. Cut it to the shape of the table.

Bob

Comment

I do allot of scrolling nearly every day and if you have a steel table, I agree with the Johnson's paste floor wax. In fact, I use it on all my steel table tops tools and then cover they with a large black plastic trash bag, my shop is open on one side. Others have said the plastic bag will make them sweat, but so far that has not been the case.
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

One thing I have learned, is to NOT use Navel Jelly. That stuff will indeed remove any rust you get, but it will also stain your table. Navel Jelly seems to really kill the "nice shiny surface" on most metals.
                    WWW.ThinBoards.com

Comment

Saw

Hi, since were on table top's , saws, my craftman cheapee 16" table has these micro groves in top and very hard too clean, has a black look too it, this about 12 years old and in great shape , outside the knob dosnt stay in set poistions , due too vib, but when i get my new place with a garage i hope, im thinking building a workbevch, times 2 in one , meaning the main table be on workbench, then whatever my scroll table is up from that table, i make a second top , slide my saw into the opening, now my table is flush with a countertop stuff or 3 feet on ether side of saw, that way i wont have too worry about cutting so flimsy wood items, it wont snaps off as i saw , and be support too, just a thought i had,Everett

Comment

I keep a sheet of waxpaper next to my saw & give the table a rub with it before I begin scrolling every day.

Comment

I have a porter cable too and I was wondering about the table too, so thank you for all the info.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X