Deciding which Delta Scroll Saw!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding which Delta Scroll Saw!

Hello, I very, very new to scroll saws and want to buy one for the wood shop that I'm putting together in my garage. I know that there are many good saws that can be had, but I have to watch my budget for now. I'm interested between the Delta 40-570 and the newer model SS350. I would like to get the newer model, but I've read about draw backs on the blade chuck. Which do you think would be the better of the two. Thanks, James in PA

I have had a 50-570, it is a very servicable saw.
    The newer ss350 is a better saw. The blade clamp have never given me a problem....other than the fact I overtightened one clamp and broke it, but that was my own fault.

The 350 is heavier and has less vibration. If money is not the deciding factor between the two I would go for the 350
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Better saw?

I also have the SS350 (2 years) I paid about $180 for the saw with stand, never had a problem with the clamps.
      It is a great saw to start with.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The Delta SS350 is generally considered the best buy in the lower priced saws.
        Here is where you can get a good price on one.
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
        Good luck.
        W.Y.
        http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Thank you for all your replies!

I juist want to say thanks to everyone who answered my question. I just ordered a NEW Delta SS350LS with a stand from Amazon for $147.59 total cost delivered. They even offered a promotional code MAYPOWER that I used. Thanks Again, James

Comment

Congrats on your new saw.
            We will be looking forward to some pictures of your work soon.
            Bill
            Delta P-20

Comment

HI James, I don't know anything about those saws. but wonted to welcome you to the forum. good luck. and don't be shy. we love to here about everything your doing. your new friend. Evie

Comment

James;
                Congratulations on your purchase . I looked up the picture of that one complete with stand. The stand does not show a lower full steel shelf like is on my P-20 but it does have the steel bracing in the same place so you may be able to fasten a plywood shelf there for extra rigidity.
                It also does not show clear enough if the back leg is adjustable for sloping the saw towards you if you prefer to.
                When you receive it, could you please let us know if the back leg is adjustable on that model.
                I hope they use the same heavy guage of steel in that stand as they do for the P-20 but it is possible it will be lighter weight due to the difference in weight because the P-20 is about 100 lbs and yours will be 60 lbs. .Still a nice hefty weight for a saw in that price range.
                W.Y.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I put a block of wood under the back leg of my Delta 350 to tilt it forward. The saw never moves around and the legs are beefy enough without putting a platform between the legs. Although some more horizontal surfaces for MORE STUFF is always nice, Thanks for the idea.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hi, I'm new to your forum and was attracted by the discussions related to the Delta 50-570 and SS350. Specifically, I have a 50-570 and want to purchase a stand for it. From the photographs, it appears likely to me that the 50-570 will fit the stand sold for the SS350. I hope someone can confirm that.

Jim Ward
                    Grass Valley, CA

Comment

WY
                      I have the SS350LS for a back up saw to my DW788. The back leg of the stand does not adjust to tilt it. That is the only thing I don't like about the stand. It is very sturdy but you have to put a block under the back leg if you want it tilted.
                      Chris
                      What! There's no coffee?!!

Comment

James, be sure to read and understand the owner's manual on the correct way to use the clamps with your new saw. Some have problems with them that I believe is mostly operator error. I have had my Delta P-20 for 3 1/2 years and have never had a problem with the clamps.
                        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Hello all,
                          I found this site while I have been looking for parts info for the P20 Delta Scroll saw. Somehow I have had some problems and lost 2 parts to it. I can't find my book so have no way of knowing what they are or how to go about ordering them. Could anyone out there help me? I can explain if necessary.
                          I am looking forward to this forum, great ideas and help when I need it and when I can give it. I love woodworking, I love the smell of the wood and staining wood to find the right colour for the project I am doing. My hubby loves the fact that he can go golfing and I can go to my workshop and lose myself for hours on end. I really enjoy making new items and repairing old items that need my attention. I just love woodworking of any kind.

On the cutting edge of life,
                          macsambo
                          Last edited by macsambo; 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

macsambo, welcome to the forum. You can go to Delta Machinery | Porter Cable
                            Top of page click on Service and Support, on that page over on the left you will see Owner Manuals, click on that and you can download the manual for your P-20.
                            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X