Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades won't stay in

Hi
    Brand new to scrolling, I started in Jan. 2006, I got a DeWalt 788 for Xmas and love the saw but the blades come out on the bottom. I have filed the screw holders flat like I was told to do, and tried all I can think of. I have adjusted the tension to a variety of degrees, but still no luck, My other half ( a machinist is talking about put the Delta quik change on it < has anyone ever converted to this and will it work?
    Thanks.

I'm a partisan of the simpler the better. Delta quickchange is definitely not simpler! I dislike it.

The blades often come with a little oil on them. Wipe them off before using. A simple paper towel will pdobably do it, or use some naphtha (I just enjoy spelling that) or alcohol wipes from the drugstore. I always have the wipes arouns anyway, so i use those. Wipe the clamps, since you've been using oily blades in 'em.

Comment

Take a look at the Tools and Blades board. There is tons of conversations about the Dewalt 788 blade problem. There's also tons of conversations about the table not being flat and customer service.
      Based on reading all those threads, I'd suggest if possible to bring it back and buy a different saw.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I've had my DeWalt for several years and have no complaints whatsoever.
        As far as the bottom blades slipping out, I use one of those thin foam backed sanding pads. I fold it around each end of the blade and give it a couple of swipes. It takes the oil off and maybe even roughs them up a little, and they generally stay in the holder without problem.

Gudrun

PS I wouldn't mind spellchecking but can't seem to find that option in this forum.

Comment

Gudrun,

Check above the smilies on the right hand side there is a check mark with the letters ABC above it: that's the spellchecker.

Regards,
          Marcel
          http://marleb.com
          DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

GmASCROLLER, I have used the DeWalt for many years and hours. Usually when the new ones wont hold the blade it is because the points that hold the blade are rounded on the end to much. A few passes with a fine file will do the trick. After that you wont have any problems.

Comment

The only trouble I've had with blade holding has been cured by filing the end of the blade holding screw a few strokes with a fingernail file. This after a couple hundred hours of use, and when i switched from using mainly a #5 blade and going to a smaller size. Dale (I dont see how a delta clamping system coule be any better,or simpler then that on the Dewalt)
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

You didn't mention if you have arthritis in your hands etc. or if you are just not able to tighten it enough to hold. I have heard on several sites that some with arthritis or even with just weak fingers have modified the handle of the set screw somehow to make it larger and easier to tighten. Maybe someone here knows about that and can help.
                I used to have the same problem and found it hard on the fingers when scrolling for long periods of time and had to tighten the set screw really tight in order for the blade to hold good enough without slipping even after all the cleaning and sanding..
                Now with my present saw I never clean the ends of blades and never have to clean or sand the inside of my holders (at least not yet in over three years) .
                I just put the blade in and press an easy to close lever and it's there to stay until the blade needs changing. I can scroll all day long without finger fatigue from changing blades or repetitive feeding the blade though the holes for fretwork.. .
                I dipped each end of a blade in oil one time and put the blade in the holders and scrolled for the entire life of the blade without it ever slipping. Of course it was just an experiment when some of us were having a discussion about such things and a few with no experience at all with my make and model of saw were saying things they knew nothing about. .

I am curious to hear from others with their own makes of saws. There are dozens of makes of saws out there but this problem continually comes up on the sites across the internet about the blades slipping in the DeWalt blade holders.. I very seldom hear about blades slipping in the holders in any other makes.
                It would be nice if people would add to this thread and state what make and model of saw they have and tell if they have the same problem with blades slipping in their particular type of blade holders. .
                Could make for an interesting discussion.

W.Y.
                http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Modifying the blade screw. You can use a lid from I think its a 1 liter bottle, like on a mt.Dew bottle, the one with the big hole to drink out of. Epoxy the thumbscrew handle inside that lid.It gives you a bigger handle to grasp.

I already mentioned about my blade slippage, and yall know what kind of a saw I use. I did use a ryobi with setscrew to install blade, but that took an allen wrench to tighten, so torque was easier. Perhaps the reason the blade dont slip on them saws is because its such a PITA to change a blade that they dont get used as much as a saw like a dewalt that most use more, and for more intricate things.On mine, I dont have that little chincy lever like on some of the deltas that I've heard so many times about people bending the lever, or flat out breaking it off. Dale
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

William,
                    I have an Excalibur which the Dewalt is the same design as (up until a few years ago they were both made by Sommerville Mfg). I've never had a problem with blades slipping.
                    There are several threads on here about the Type II Dewalts and the wedge being out of spec which causes problems attaching blades. The folks who've had their saws for several years likely have the older type I built prior to moving overseas.
                    It's a shame the Delta P-20 isn't as readily available as the Dewalt.

Kevin
                    Kevin
                    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Dale;
                      I dont have that little chincy lever like on some of the deltas that I've heard so many times about people bending the lever, or flat out breaking it off. Dale
                      I have only heard about that particular problem once but it was definitely due to operator error. If the adjusting wheel was adjusted too tight for the thickness of blade being installed and the lever was forced way to hard to try to close the clamp on the blade , then yes , I suppose it could bend or break that easy to use lever. There is no other way that lever can be bent or broken. Actually very little pressure is used to get an extremely tight hold on the blade because it is closing two flat plates on each side of the blade for a lot more surface tension area of pressure on the blade instead of the blade just being held just by the end of a little flat ended screw being pushed up against the blade .
                      Most anything can be broken by improper use and/or not reading the owners manual as well as using excessive force.. Hope this helps in your understanding the situation by someone that has thousands of hours of experience with those Delta blade holders and I am still using my original ones.
                      Unfortunately some are not as mechanically minded as others so accidents will happen .

Great tip on gluing a folded over pop bottle lid onto the DeWalt clamp. That might help some others out that are having the same problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kevin;
                      It's a shame the Delta P-20 isn't as readily available as the Dewalt.
                      Delta P-20 is becoming much more poular and more readily available in recent years . You could check Delta's site to get the location of dealers and authorized service centers from coast to coast across the nation.
                      Hope this helps you find any information about any Delta tool . . . not just their line of scrollsaws.
                      W.Y.

Comment

Hey guys,
                        I have owned 2 delta saws a 250 and currently a P-20. I have had nothing but good luck with the blade holders , they are easy to change out blades and I do as gudrun described to keep them from slipping.Dale are you refering to the tension lever? I have not had any problems with bending or breaking this lever on either of my 2 saws , they seem pretty sturdy. Kevin I recently bought my p-20 from Amazon and there were pleanty available. I have really enjoyed my saw so far. I hope all the Dewalt owners that have experienced recent problems get them solved soon.Marcel I don't see the spell check you described?
                        Bill
                        Delta P-20

Comment

In response to William Young asking what saws other users have and their level of satisfaction..........

I have an Excalibur 21 that I bought new last November. I have never had a blade changing problem - or any other problem for that matter. I never do anything to a new blade before setting it into the holders. The upper and lower blade holder is a good size hand screw that is readily accessible and easy to use. With the head in the zero position (the table never moves) each blade change always produces a perfect 90 degree cut.

My EX21 has never forced me into any period of down time due to problems.

Bob
                          Scrolling satisfies the passion for intricate creativity. My saw is an Excalibur EX21.

Comment

Thanks Bob for that info.
                            I have heard nothing but good reports about the new EX-21 saw. I'm glad you like it.
                            So are you saying that the blade holders and /or hand screws have been upgraded from what they have been using on DeWalts that *used* to be built in the same place? That's interesting to know.
                            Sure is nice to learn all the in's and out's of the various makes and models.
                            W.Y.

Comment

Originally posted by William Young (SE BC)
                              Dale;

Hope this helps in your understanding the situation by someone that has thousands of hours of experience with those Delta blade holders and I am still using my original ones.

Great tip on gluing a folded over pop bottle lid onto the DeWalt clamp. That might help some others out that are having the same problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

W.Y.
                              Ok as for MY understanding of the situation........ The situation was about a blade slipping problem with a dewalt, NOT about how many hours YOU scroll! It seems I understood fairly well.
                              As for the tip, I was wrong, it is the lid from a 20 ounce bottle that fits snugly on the thumbscrew, not the bigger lid, although the bigger lid would work nicely with epoxy holding it as well.Theres no need to fold over the bottle lid. Dale
                              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X