Fine Lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine Lines?

Whats the best way to cut very fine lines in fretwork ?

Charlie,
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Originally posted by Charlie_1
    Whats the best way to cut very fine lines in fretwork ?

Charlie,
    HI Charlie. I am always looking for a new way to do vaining too. hope that is what you mean. One of the things I do now is. I drill the smallest hole I can . then take a old blade and a small one. then sand,or grind, off the back and even the sides , mostly the top. or cut or brake the top off. then push it through the hole. and saw , by hand just enouph to get the blade I wont in the hole. that way you can get a smaller hole with a slit to start with the blade you are useing. also you can start your drilled hole in a place where it will not be seen so much , like a corner. another way is to cut the smallest cut with a regular blade , then follow up with a small spirale blade. an one more that I know of , whitch I don't use, but will if too small , is to burn the line with a wood burner. wouldn't it be great if someone would invent a plung blade. hahaha that way we wouldn't have to drill a round hole. only to put a flat blade into.. Hay Guys. here is a challenge for you. Invent something. somthing like a very small drill bit. to start the hole, then following up with a flat thing to start the cut with. does this make any sense? your friend Evie
    Last edited by minowevie; 04-10-2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

practice, practice, and more practice. I just put a photo in the gallery of some real intricate fine lines,not straight, but lines none the less. Any good quality blade should work. dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Lucky788 - very nice work. Where did you get the bowhunter from? My nephew would love that.

Paul S.

Paul S.

Comment

I will PM you. Dale (board rules forbid links I think)
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale;
            Awsome work on the bowhunter.
            Thanks for sharing.
            W.Y.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Charlie - I am a big fan of small blades both spiral and two way cut- I use # 2/0 or #1 for very fine lines -I really do like to use spirals and I find these sizes are good for most anything except straight lines. Thats when I use a two way blade.
              Sharon

Comment

Thank you :-)

Yup vaining was what I was talking about I just couldnt think of the word for it lol thank you all for the help that will help alot :-)
                Charlie
                Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

charlie . what are you doing. in vaining. do you have a pattern? is there some vaining? the first thing I should have said in my first post was.
                  start your vaining at a drilled hole. smallest you can do. at my hardware stores that only come in 1/16 . maybe yours is smaller. then put your smallest blade in the hole and cut your line. the hole will leave a wider space on both sides of the blade .thats ok. but don't worry about it. just cut your line. there is ways to componsate for it . just cut your line. the hole is not a bad thing. we all have to dill with it. hope we didn't scar you off. sometimes I forget , i had to start from the begennig too. and this was not the way to start with you. drats. Charlie. I bet you could teach us a thing or too. or at least me. we are here for you. but we are not perfect. do you rambale. thats what i am doing. your friend Evie

Comment

Im working on a some fretwork of a wolf and some of the fur and face has very fine lines and I wasnt sure how to compensate for the holes and have it still look right with the picture , plus it seems like its taking forever cause my saw doesnt have the tool less blade system on it , so I was also kinda wondering if there was another way around it lol but it doesnt look like there is. ah well it will just take me a bit longer lol
                    me teach you a thing or two? your kidding right ? lol can barely teach myself lol Im very thankfull for you guys, cause I would be up the creek without a paddle if it wasnt for your guys help :-)
                    really appreciates all the help :-)

your friend,
                    Charlie

Charlie
                    Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Charlie you say your doing a wolf. sounds great. the vaining for the hair and face. well the other thing you can do is bevale your lines into the hole are. just bevale it. or curve into it. make it like a tear drop. Or tear up hahah. dose that make any sense. also go back into the hole and bevale out. just make the hole blend into the rest of the work. I think you got it. this is where a spirale blade can come into the work. you can just go in and out. without turning around. the only thing with a spirale , is , the kerf is wider. (the distance of the blade width.) pratice , thats the main thing. we all learn from are triles and arers. your friend Evie

Comment

Thank you evie , will try that
                        Ive had plenty of trial and errors believe me lol

Thank you ,

Charlie
                        Charlie
                        Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse