The best scroll saw blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best scroll saw blades

I bet this has been asked countless times, but it seems easier to post than to search, because the times are a changin and so are the blades.

So, in your opinion, what are the best blades and where can they be purchased?
    I guess I should ask how much they are too.

I work at Home Depot(Hardware Dept) as my part time job, so I get good deals. I don't think the blades they sell there, are the best.
    And I have heard from the Dremel guy who does demostrations; he says dremel blades are not the best, but I can't remember which ones he recommended either and he does not come back for another couple months.

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong section.
    Mods...can you redirect this thread..ty.

Comment

Gee you have a cool job --- as far as blades go that will get a lot of different responses .. The best thing I can recomend because they are what I like best is Flying Dutchman Blades --But they are my prefrence not everyones... as far as I can see I think your best bet will be to go to the magazine rack at work and pick up a copy of the scroll saw work books. They have good patterns and a lot of info in them -- Thats going to be a question I know you will ask is about patterns... There are some really great ones here and I do suggest you get a subscription to this mag,, I have never had one I didn't like -- as far as the one at your store - I have a lot of issuses with that I will never use because they just nothing there I care for- again - that is just my preference-- not everyone has the same taste..
      One bit of good free advice I will give you is to make things you enjoy doing-- don't try to please others as much as you please yourself.. always have fun in your scrolling - when it isn't fun anymore you will loose interest ..and unfortunatly it will be a dread.. and keep your first piece -- it is going to be something to cherish later on as you see the progress you've made .. and sign your name on your work- I feel if it has my name on it I have to have the highest quality I can put forth -- I don't want my name attached to something I wouldn't be proud of.
      Sharon

Comment

Thanks Sharron...good words of wisdom.

Comment

Welcome B.C.

You should get some interesting responses.

Like Sharon, I use FD blades. I also like Olson PGT blades for long, straight cuts. I have not used Olson Gold blades - although one of the "pro" scroller's has a recent thread about her positive experiences with them. I have also not used the "finest Swiss steel" blades that I'm sure you will hear about.

I know one blade dealer who offers free samples of FD blades. Shoot me a PM if you'd like his contact info. I know of no other blade dealer who will send you trial packs for free.

Good luck on your quest and enjoy making dust!
          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Welcome B.C. from BC I am also in Beautifull BC

Please email me at [email protected] and I will be glad to share my experiences with the different brands etc. so that you will be able to have the most enjoyable scrollsawing experience available.

Have fun with your new hobby.

W.Y.
            Last edited by BobD; 03-23-2006, 10:38 AM. Reason: Edited to meet bill of rights
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

B.C.,
              What I would recommend is that you buy several different types of blades (skip tooth, double tooth, spiral, reverse tooth) from several different manufacturers and decide for yourself which blades YOU prefer. My preference (as well as anyone else's) is pretty irrelevant. What I would suggest is perhaps a dozen of each 2/0, 1, 2, 3, and 5 from Olson, Flying Dutchman, and Pegas. Prices are fairly comparable and all are available from several sources. My style of cutting is very aggressive so I use very aggressive blades, others are more finessey (is that a word) and prefer blades not quite as aggressive. I do this for whatever type of cutting I'm planning if it's something I haven't done before (currently I'm trying to find something I like for thick hardwoods).
              If you need sources for the above, send me a private message and I'll give you sources for all of the above.

Kevin
              Kevin
              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

this is heading towards another one of those debates i think. Ill just say, I'm a lot like sharon, in both blades I like, and the reccomendation that you get a copy of scrollsaw workshop, and explore the whole magazine, even the ads. dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

BC,
                  Jedi's suggestion is about the best way for you to go - but remember that all the blades will be difficult at first - and it isn't usually the blades - it is just your inexperience. Keep at it, and try to keep track of what works the best for you - resist the urge to just throw all the blades in a container and use whatever you reach first - you will never remember which is which! (Right- you don't have to ask how I know that!!)
                  If you are cutting thicker wood - like 3/4" or more, then add #7's and maybe a few #9's to your mix.
                  Good luck - and I hope you can decide fairly quickly, so you can get on to all the other neat decisions you get to make.
                  Sandy

Comment

Good point Sheltie. I hadn't thought of the thicker stuff. When I think about it, starting out I used #7's and #5's.

Kevin
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller
                      this is heading towards another one of those debates i think. Ill just say, I'm a lot like sharon, in both blades I like, and the reccomendation that you get a copy of scrollsaw workshop, and explore the whole magazine, even the ads. dale
                      I'm just waiting for technology to catch up so I can buy some of those new fangled 'laser' blades. Never wear out and are adjustable from 8/0 to 9.

Comment

Hi Grizz

They're already around and used by the likes of Anita Marquetry on wood veneers. What a pity these machines are so expensive.

Gill
                        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                          Hi Grizz

They're already around and used by the likes of Anita Marquetry on wood veneers. What a pity these machines are so expensive.

Gill
                          Thank heavens these things are around 10K! It's bad enough I've had them (laser burned woodwork) show up at 2 fairs I was at last year, fortunately most customers complained to the promoters and didn't buy any of their stuff. I did have to convince quite a few people I was actually an artisan and not a computer tech. While these things have their place along with CNC routers, that place is not in hand made only art and craft fairs! Take a look on e-bay sometime and you can see these folks selling portraits for $5, which really lessens the value or our craft.
                          There, I feel better now.

Kevin
                          Kevin

Comment

Which blades you like best might also depend on what you like to do, as some brands may have blades that suit that type of work better. Some blades may work better with different brands of saws also. My saw is aggressive but I am not so I like a blade that doesn't push me around! I hope that made sense

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X