Fixing Broken Pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Broken Pieces?

What the best glue to use for fixing broken pieces?
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Charlie, on small fretwork pieces I use Aleene's Tacky Glue.

Bob
    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Ditto on Aleene's
      Brown or silver bottle. Same glue except silver bottle formula sets up slightly faster.
      W.Y.
      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Thank you both

will have to try that thanks :-)

Charlie,
        Charlie
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

I use Weldbond. It's a white glue but dries clear.If you get any squeeze out , or get some on the wrong area, it's water soluble for 20 min, and cleans right off.There's a long list of uses for it. I get it from a supplier on line. If you would like the link, send me a PM.
          "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."---Thomas Paine

Comment

glue

I'm new here, and will likely show my first project soon{new to scrolling also}, but being a carpenter by trade, I use titebond. Sets quick, dries clear, is stronger than host wood. saved me much lost time in my struggling with small broken pieces.

Comment

Hi charlie. you can get Aleens glues at Joans fabric stores.

Woodbutcher1 I use Tite bond. is there more than one kind. I just love this glue. but the one I use is not clear. is there other kinds. ??mine dryes white. mmmmmmmm. sure like that glue. love how it sets up fast. it all wipes off pretty easy with water. but if I don't get to it soon enouph , I can just chip it off with my little nife. I realy love the fast tack . don't have to wait so long to go on with my project. your friend Evie PS welcome woodbutcher..

also Charlie. I have herd CA glue. or super glue is good for cracks too. never used it myself. but comes from good sorces. (this group). I think I will give that a try. your friend Evei
              Last edited by minowevie; 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

For small broken pieces and cracks I have had success with CA, industrial quality, not the cheap, cardboard packaging, off the shelf stuff.

Combined with accelerator dryer, you put the glue on, spray the accelerant and it's done. Works really great. (both available from Lee Valley)

I also use Titebond III it's brownish and water resistant, as well as the Weldbond which is transparent.

I'm not familiar with Aleene's, but will give it a try eventually since many think it's good.

Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

If I am thinking correctly today (it happens periodically) the weldbond is about the same stuff as the Aleens.
                  Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

While were on alreens tack itover and over glues and this question seams to be answered quite well. i got a question....?

canned spray adhesives give off too much overspray, even outside the bugs get into the works....

I love the arleens stuff to stick on patterns on with when doing compound cutting, but i never get a clean break from it.

it winds up on my finger tips, then my nose itches and one ear, and a eyelid scratch an itch in my armpit,
                    soon the nursery book story burr rabbit and the tar baby comes to mind, i got my hair stuck to my left eyelid my hat wont come off and my arm dont move without my shirt comming with it..

spreading the adhesieve on the back of a pattern i like to get a good even coverage, i usualy use a piece of card stock. and spread it all over the pattern smoothly to get the best evenly spred coat, it dries evenly and it makes it easier to remove from the project "becuse if you put the pattern on wet its just about perminate.... "

guess im gonna have to wear painters latex gloves. like i do when i use gorilla glue.

Q: how do you get it off your hands without wearing it off.

SUGGESTIONS? welcome.........
                    Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

The Aleens off of hands? just give it two minutes to dry up, and it should peel right off. Or, if its wet, water works.Its wayyyy diffrent then dealing with CA or Polyurethane glues. Dale
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by Thomp
                        While were on alreens tack itover and over glues and this question seams to be answered quite well. i got a question....?

canned spray adhesives give off too much overspray, even outside the bugs get into the works....

I love the arleens stuff to stick on patterns on with when doing compound cutting, but i never get a clean break from it.

it winds up on my finger tips, then my nose itches and one ear, and a eyelid scratch an itch in my armpit,
                        soon the nursery book story burr rabbit and the tar baby comes to mind, i got my hair stuck to my left eyelid my hat wont come off and my arm dont move without my shirt comming with it..

spreading the adhesieve on the back of a pattern i like to get a good even coverage, i usualy use a piece of card stock. and spread it all over the pattern smoothly to get the best evenly spred coat, it dries evenly and it makes it easier to remove from the project "becuse if you put the pattern on wet its just about perminate.... "

guess im gonna have to wear painters latex gloves. like i do when i use gorilla glue.

Q: how do you get it off your hands without wearing it off.

SUGGESTIONS? welcome.........
                        Tom You crack me up. I am so dieing lauphing here. lol. sounds like you could use a whole suit to spray your patterns on with. lol. your so funny.
                        if it is allowed. here is a web sight for lots of great stuff. you can order the CA Quick - setting glues here. looks like a good dill, or deal. oh what ever. they also have (TOM). some De-Glue Goo solvent that will clean up a nasty glue spill on your (self )or youR workpiece. also they have the gorilla glue. it is 100% waterproof. and doesn't clog your sandpaper,won't dull your tools and is stainable. pretty good stuff. Here is the web. they will also send you a free catalog www.woodworkingshop.com or call 1-800-228-0000 lol. still lauphing so hard. to funny. your friend Evie. woops Ps. aleen's glue comes in lots of differant typs. and one is cristule clear. see ya Evie Also Tom. I keep a jar of laquir thinner out side. I just dip my hands in and walla. no glue. I like leather hands any way. but then alittle workmons hands loction will fix that right up.
                        Last edited by minowevie; 04-21-2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Ok, Tom, I'm done laughing now, do you mean getting the spray adhesive off your hands? Have you tried nail polish remover? I found this works better than acetone, even though nail polish remover is supposed to be aceton. Course the best way to get it off is to wear gloves!!!!
                          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

ok gals,,,

what i ment was alreens gets all over me, but the overspray from arosol is worst.. i hate to wear them gloves.

when i use spray adheisive i know the rubber cement or spray adhesive dries in about 5-8 minuets so i go away and do something else.

but the arleans comes out the bottle too thick to leave like that its got to be spread. so i usualy use a piece of scrap paper to spread it atound the pattern, and every time i do it i get it all over the place . usualy unseen or unknown until a later time, like when im getting undressed for a shower and my shirt wont come off without hurting,,,,,,or i roll over in the bed abd the sheets are stuck to my forearm...

ill try the nail polish remover guess you gals aint setting me up for nothing funny..........
                            Dremel 1680 & Delta ss250 shopmaster

Comment

I think Ill be really careful on what I use ,not sure if I want that to happen lmbo

Charlie,

have you tried a different type of gloves like rubber or something ,that way its nto the latex, or trying a different way to put it on ?
                              Charlie
                              Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X