No announcement yet.

Many material questions (I'm a newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many material questions (I'm a newbie)

Hi all,

(Sorry if these questions are answered in other threads)

I just gave myself a birthday gift: a DW788 (It's a type 2 )

Now I see that I need to "accessorize" ( I like gadgets, what can I say).

Where do you purchase your stuff? Any Canadian Suppliers?

I want to purchase the following items:
    The easy lift (to lift the upper arm for blade changes)
    A foot pedal (Power switch)
    Blades holder and tubes (the acrylic holder with indexed tubes that close)

and of course blades
    I would like to try different ones I've been reading about:
    Olson, Pegas(?), FD

Are the sanding strips that go in the blade holder worth it?
    Which are best?

I have a magnifier with bulb (thinking of the Luxo with Fluorescent), a DC, a small drum sanding kit, Press drill, bandsaw.

Anything else you may think I need?

What books do you recommend for a complete beginner?

Thanks in advance,
    Marcel
    http://marleb.com
    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Where to begin

Marcel, first congrats on the saw.

Begin with a piece of wood and purchase some blades from local dealers if possible. You will find there is a long standing blade debate on this forum, but it is important for you to try a number of brands and some may be easily purchased online or locally.

As for accessories to your saw, their necessity will depend on your scrolling preference. Start with the saw and some blades, see if you want to have the foot pedal (power switch) or the arm lift. They are not absolute necessities for some. Personally, I need a light on the scrolling surface because focusing on the line is sometimes a challenge.... (I refuse to age and resist bifocals with a passion) There are some who will say a magnifying light is better than standard light, again, your preference.

You mention having a drill press and some other equipment, but not what you want to DO in way of scrolling. What inspired you to purchase your saw - fretwork, intarsia, segmentation???? There are some great books in the Fox Chapel Library and they come out with new books regularly. Neal Moore who is a moderator on the forum will be releasing a new book on complex segmentation soon. There are forums with free patterns if you prefer to try fretwork. I suggest you pick up a copy of Scroll Saw Workshop magazine and you will have plenty to try.

Do remember to post some photos of your work, and let us know how your adventure with scrolling is progressing.

As for Canadian suppliers, private message me or email and I will let you know some places I am familar with, but they are in Ontario however.

Comment

Here is the name of a blade supplier in Canada:
      Mike Lenton: [email protected]
      Email him, he might have some other suggestions for you.
      Mike M
      SD Mike

Comment

Marcel,
        I strongly recommend the book "Scroll Saw Workbook" by John Nelson. I think it is the closest you can come to taking an introductory class in scrolling without actually doing so. It is a Fox Chapel book, so you might be able to get it from this website (I'm just not sure what needs to happen to send stuff to Canada, but I'm betting that they can and do). Or you can probably get it or have it ordered by your favorite bookstore.
        And do get some good ss blades - not the ones in the big box stores - try to get some FD or Olson (I like their pgt series) or maybe some Pegas. If you have a specialty tool store that caters also to professional cabinet makers and such, it may be a good source. In my opinion, most of those store brand ones you can usually get at a hardware store or such are usually just so much junk - they will hold back your progress.
        In my (limited!) experience with the sanding strips that insert like a blade in the saw - they are more trouble and expense than they are worth. A few emory boards from the drug store can be cut to whatever width is appropriate, and operated by hand while watching tv or listening to good music, and they do a very good job, very cheaply.
        On your other tools, I don't know which tool you're calling a DC (perhaps it will come to me after I hit "send"), but maybe you could tell me. You've got lighting, magnifying, resawing, drilling and sanding pretty well covered. You're ready to make sawdust. Oh - yes, maybe some sort of dust collection, or at least some safety glasses and a dust mask.
        Then, get a supply of your favorite specie and thickness of wood, and start having fun. It sounds like you are set to enjoy this experience!
        Good luck, and let us know about your projects.
        Sandy
        PS Welcome to the group - we're wild and wacky, but we welcome your questions and we'll be delighted to hear about your progress.

Comment

Thanks for the information all

Sandie you had it DC = Dust Collector (A King industial 1.5 HP with LeeValley 4" Cyclone lid separator) I also have the glasses and mask, although I would prefer to suck up the dust at the source (I've seen a setup with 2" PVC pipe going top and bottom of table that seemed interresting)

Mike thanks I will email him.

Toni, I am not worthy (to parody a certain movie)
          I have visited your website and you 2 girls blow me away with your work I am sure I have a lot to learn from you and will look forward to your post.

As to what I want to do with the saw, well I'm not sure yet.

My first need was to make some fridge magnets for my wife that are Dolphin shaped (she is a bottlenose dolphin freak) and my bandsaw was not minute enough for the detailed cuts it required. I could have used a manual scrollsaw (would have been a hell of a lot cheaper, since I have one anyways) but I am materialistic in nature and have a good income that lets me buy some toys (kids are grown-up and gone)

I like intarsia, and will give it a whirl, and I've seen some fret work that I found interresting: the type where a "shadow" patern is cut out to create an image (not sure what it's called) like Novascroller's plaques.

I am not particularly attracted by the fancy fretwork (although beautifull) that are clocks or lacy-like items, but I'm not closed to trying something for the heck of it either (I've seen some nice cross).

So... I don't really know where I'm heading with this, but getting there should be fun

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Marcel....welcome

Two points, the first of which has been mentioned. Don't buy accessories until you get used to the saw and what you can do with it. You may find you want more stuff......or you don't.

Second, don't start out by relying exclusively on patterns. Experiment freehand! Make a giraffe, a heart, a bell, a monkey, a broom, a race car....anything you feel like. Get used to being creative on your own, so you don't have to always take directions from a pattern that someone else has designed.

Just an opinion

The important thing is to have phun....

Carter

Comment

Hppy Birthday Marcel--- and welcome to our fun forum -- first I must say you got it right on on your selection of tools...now play with them without patterns so you can get the feel of them..learn the little quirks and how to adjust everything --keep your manuals handy for refrence... now there is a site for free patterns on msn called absoultley free scroll saw patterns and free scroll saw patterns - they are free and just join the group --you'll find them good folks there and loads of free patterns. -- BobD if I goofed please omit- no jello for me tonight if I did.
              Attach your patterns to your wood with spray adheasive but be sure not to cut your originnal pattern. I have a copier that reduces and enlarges and save the original.. work the cost .
              Oh and you need to get a ton of printing paper and a lot of ink- Good time to learn how to refill your printer.
              Hope you love this art just half as much as some of us do and you'll have a ball..make a lot of nice gifts ..nd you my even make a dollar or two..
              Sharon
              And pay no attention to my sillyness -- I am harmless and I've had my shots.

Comment

[QUOTE=Marcel in Longueuil]... Toni, I am not worthy (to parody a certain movie) I have visited your website and you 2 girls blow me away with your work I am sure I have a lot to learn from you and will look forward to your post.

As to what I want to do with the saw, well I'm not sure yet. ...

Ah shucks... thanks for the kind comments on our work and the site Marcel. Hopefully it shows one thing - that we have fun with what we do. Promoting scrolling keeps us busy, and working in the shop gives us plenty of laughs.

Did you make your fridge magnets? If not, there are plenty of silouettes of dophins in stencils and clip art.

Make sure you post a photo when you're done them.

Comment

Marcel, to answer your question about the sanding strips. Save your money, if you use the right blade you shouldn't need the sanding strips. To make your own just cut some emory cloth, any grit you choose. Cut a strip 5" long by 1/2" wide, fold it in half lengthwise and insert it in your blade clamps. You can make them any width you choose. You can also use the wooden fingernail sanders that the ladies use. Happy scrolling, Mick.
                  Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I've ordered some Olson PGT blades to try, next time I'll give another brand a try.

After changing only two blades, I already know I want the easy lift.

Toni, I've posted my first project in another thread, I'll have to make more fridge magnets to show you soon.

I love the scroll sawing, now If I can just find time between building my home office and the new deck this year

Oh well, all that should keep me out of trouble for a while

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                      Reply to New tools
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                      Today, 11:14 PM
                    • Hobbyhorse
                      Reply to New tools
                      by Hobbyhorse
                      Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                      Today, 11:03 PM
                    • Hobbyhorse
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by Hobbyhorse
                      Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                      Today, 10:58 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                      by KarlB
                      Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                      Today, 09:41 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                      by KarlB
                      Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                      Today, 09:31 PM
                    Working...
                    X